Lockers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lockers?

A Friend of mine is trying to convince me that putting "lockers" in the front of my truck will make my traction in snow a hell of alot better. Something about any truck in 4x4 is really only 2 wheel drive and a 4x2 is really only one wheel drive....I guess it has to do with wheel spin. ( im really not a mechanical guy can you tell?)

So anyway is this true? he says lockers will make it seem like front wheel drive and will pull the truck through anything especially in 4x4.

Old 04-30-2005, 10:13 AM
YEah it ll be sweet only if your rockcrawling off roading

no, It will make it worse...say..what if your on the road with snow covered...put in 4x4, maybe fool around driving or struggle to get out of snow area, u try to spin the tires fast or try get you out of stuck area then, sudden your front tire (either one) grab the good traction (dry pavemnt) and it will lead to snap the axleshaft or inside the diff gears- not good!

My suggest is Detriot true trac. its best limit slip cuz it has no clutch pack, no wear parts..
Or
get select locker like ARB, ox lockers or electric locker (eatson)

Myself a rockcrawling with jeep.. i know pretty good stuff about lockers etc..there will be always have different opinions but most will agree with me...

HTH!
YOMAN!

Old 04-30-2005, 06:42 PM
so something that gives me limited slip would be best???

what is involved and what kind of cost?

Old 05-01-2005, 08:20 AM
FOrget to ask you, whats purpose for your truck? fun off roading or hunting or ??

Yup it would be best for your truck...Its my opinion..

I dont know what your truck has... like gears, motor etc ?

If you have $$, you can get ARB, OX, eaton locker or detriot electric locker (Selectlocker) is a bit more money..when your on road, you can turn it off or disengage so it wont harm to your front axle.

Detriot true trac is approx $350 plus install job...i dont know how much will they charge you for install...IN my home area 300-400ish..its a bit high price where i lives...dunno about yours.

Gear/locker/limit slip is a bit tough to do it yourself. Need some special tools.

Try call around 4x4 shop and ask for price.

YOMAN!

Old 05-01-2005, 08:30 AM
I do some off roading usually in winter though, so snow and traction are my problems. Im totally stock when it comes to gears and such, I am running 285 revo's which I just got. Money is always a concern but if it works Ill just have to save up some pennies.

Old 05-01-2005, 08:31 AM
Then limit slip is a way to go!! Detriot True trac!!

check out www.tractech.com and so search for "differential and traction control" it has explain everything how it works etc..

YOu can order thru online for good price then bring it in local shop for install job.

YOMAN!

Last edited by YOMAN; 05-01-2005 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:41 AM
Whats the difference between the Detroit tru trac and the Detroit EZ locker?

Old 05-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Detriot EZ locker isnt that popular- a bit weak and it ll be always locked but when you drive, turnsright or left, you will hear clunks when you turns right or left cuz it ll unlock....its normal for sounds and you dont want it hehe.

Heres i copied/pasted from other fourms..

Detriot EZ:
"Be careful on takeoffs, and if you drive a stick, when you shift gears. The locker will sometimes engage hard, and you have to be ready to make any driving corrections necessary. If the locker doesn't click around corners at all (remember, the sound is very faint, you do have to listen for it), open it back up and check the install, especially if the tires chirp around corners all the time."

Thats why i suggest detriot true trac.

If i have money, i ll buy me Detriot True trac front and rear ( stock limitslip is POS !)

YOMAN!

Old 05-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Ok then so i would need on both axles then? And it will still work with my 4 wheel drive?

Old 05-01-2005, 02:52 PM
Nah, you dont have to have BOTH.

Do you have a limit slip in rear (came with factory stock) ??

If you dont have limit slip in rear then do the rear.

I have a factory stock limit slip (has a clutch pack) in rear and it did good when it was snow during recenlty winter.

either front or rear will be fine with 4x4.

YOMAN!

Old 05-01-2005, 03:11 PM
Well if it came factory stock in the 4x4 package then yes but honestly I have to idea. I wonder how I could find out

Old 05-01-2005, 07:09 PM
Ok, best way to find out if you have limit slip.

check the tag on rear end cover or look up your paper work to see if its on list (options) ( did you buy it as brand new or used?)

To save from headache and waste time....

FIRST, put some kind of block, burick, woods etc IN FRONT tires to keep it from moving forward then use floor Jack up rear end (both REAR tires off the ground) and push tires with your hands to rotate it like spin.
if both REAR tires rotate same as forward then you have limit slip.

If the both REAR tires doesnt rotate forward, like one tire forward and other side tire backward then its called "open diffeerential"- no limit slip.

HTH!
YOMAN!

Last edited by YOMAN; 05-01-2005 at 07:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Lockers?