Rattle in rear over bumps. Where 2 look?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle in rear over bumps. Where 2 look?

My 97 expy rattles and clangs like a SOB when going over bumps. I primarily hear it at lower speeds, but that may be just me. I've looked under the rear and can't find anything broken or out of place. the only thing i can possibly think of is the 126K mi. OEM shocks may be blown, but the suspension isn't compressing that much at all so they shouldn't be bottoming out. Can anyone steer me in the direction i should look?

Also as an aside, i was thinking about going with a torsion key lift and 2" coil spacers in the rear for a few more inches of lift over my body lift. will i need new shocks after i install the spacers/key lift? what are some drawbacks to the key lift? thanks.

Old 05-02-2005, 12:10 PM
My 97 F-150 has a metallic rattle at lower speeds over bumps as well. Sounds like front, but when windows are up, sounds like the rear. Can't find it for the life of me. Hoping it is my really old shocks that I am going to replace.

Old 05-03-2005, 09:18 AM
hey guys try this on my 94 i had it jacked up and the springs were at full droop and one of the teflon spring pads that go in between each spring were gone from the rear of the one spring. i thought it was my exhaust for the longest time but i got that fixed and found this....

Old 05-03-2005, 04:22 PM
well i think i found it. i got under there today and grabbed/shook everything i could reach. the pass side shock can be twisted in the bottom half and isn't tight in the locating bracket. the bolt is tight, but it looks like the bushing has rotted away some allowing some movement at the bottom. looks like a set of new rear shocks at least. anyone recommend some decent aftermarket replacements (not bilstein, too much money wanna sell the truck sometime soon) i was thinking something i can get at the parts counter like monroe, gabriel, etc...

Quick Reply: Rattle in rear over bumps. Where 2 look?