4" leaf spring replacement for 2wd truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4" leaf spring replacement for 2wd truck

i have a 97 2wd F150 with a 3 inch suspension lift. The lift, for the rear, uses the factory leaf springs and then what looks like a 1 1/2 - 2 inch block that sits below the leaf springs. i've possibly found some brand new 4 inch leaf springs and am wondering if i could put them in the back to replace the old leaf springs and the lift blocks. are blocks mandatory for suspension to function properly?

i'm asking this question to get opinions on what people think about my lift with the 2wd truck. do you think that the lift blocks and factory leaf springs are all equaling the height of a 4" leaf spring? and are there differences between 2wd and 4wd leaf spring bolt on patterns (or whatever it is really called)

i'm gonna go measure, i'm just wondering what everybody thinks!
thanks again for all help and opinions people can share!
John

Old 06-07-2005, 11:39 PM

Little confused by your questions but ill see what I can do.

Do you mean you found a taller 4in block you want to use, instead of the 2in block?

No blocks are not needed, their just there to increase the height.

Did you get a whole new set of leaf springs in you lift?

Old 06-07-2005, 11:46 PM
Not clear on what you meant. If you mean the leafspring are 4 inches WIDE, then, NO, they will not fit in the stock hangers and shackles. They would be too wide.

Old 06-08-2005, 06:28 PM
hey thanks for the responses,

sorry about the confusion. i'm just wondering if a leaf spring that says it gives 4 inches of lift, can replace my current block (from the lift kit) and the OEM leaf springs, giving me the height that i currently have now.

since i'm the height of a stock 4x4 with my 3 inch lift, i guess i could ask

"how much lift is in the rear of a normal 1997 F150 with blocks and leaf springs???"

sorry about the confusion, hope maybe this helps a little, if not its ok i'll figure it out by trying after my next couple pay checks!!

thanks again,
John

Old 06-09-2005, 01:20 AM

A 2wd dosnt come stock with any size blocks. A 4x4 comes with a 2in block in the rear. The leaf springs are the exact same. So a 4x4 is 2in taller in the rear than a 2x4.

When you say you have a 3in lift on your truck. Your front is probably lifted 3inches, and the back is lifted 2inches with the 2in block(to level the truck out). NOTHING TO DO WITH THE LEAF SPRINGS!!! If you take the block out and put a whole new set of springs in, that are suppose to lift the truck 4inches, than you would have 4in of lift in the rear and not your 2inches that you have now.

Basically if you do what your thinking, you would be increasing the lift in the rear by 2inches.

Old 06-23-2005, 02:16 PM

Did you figure it out?

Old 06-24-2005, 09:53 AM
I think I know what you mean and I've been wondering the same thing on my truck. I have a 3" block, a 2" add-a-leaf and the OEM leafs in the rear to level out the truck. (My total lift is 10" in the front and the back always sat lower) I would love to replace that entire set-up with JUST a leaf spring but not sure how that would work or even what to get.

Old 06-24-2005, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Blonde Ambition
I have a 3" block, a 2" add-a-leaf and the OEM leafs in the rear to level out the truck. (My total lift is 10" in the front and the back always sat lower) I would love to replace that entire set-up with JUST a leaf spring but not sure how that would work or even what to get.
That particular setup would be a 10in lift in front and 5in lift in the back. You would have to get a specially made leaf spring set that is made to lift the rear 5inches.

But the front seems way to high compared to the back. I think it would be better with a 10/7 or 10/8 ratio. Perhaps leaving the block in or getting a 2in block.

Quick Reply: 4" leaf spring replacement for 2wd truck