98-150 Front End

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005 | 09:37 PM
|
98-150 Front End

Does anyone else have problems keeping your frnt end aligned??? mine will hold an alignment about 3 weeks then start pulling back to the right..had this done 2 times and only went right back to were it was befor..constant pulling to the right..but it only goes so far but never gets worse..wheel always ****ed to the 8 and 2 position, when ligned up its right on the 9-3 pos. I dont drive it hard or on bad roads..no wreak history or damage..front is tight does not wander or loose..If you let go you in the ditch very fast..I had one shop tell me that it needed some $150 hold type clamps put on it to keep it in line plus $60 more to line it up,,but would not guarantee it!!!!! The first shop had to line it 2 times befor they got it right the first time,,and they told me that to get it they had to go just about out of the putor range to the left to get it...they checked everything that they could to find why it was doing this but everything looked good and checked out ...Does anybody have any solutions??? No I do like this pickup other than the pulling ZZZZZ....I also only put on 18mls a day 5 days a week so its not getting many miles at all when it starts the pulling stuff....Thanks..

Old 07-15-2005 | 02:28 PM
i had a problem with my adjusting cams moving around and screwing up my alianment the fix, got some high strength adjusting cams from 4wheel parts for like $40, it would only get unalianed when i took it offroading hard tho, it is something you could look at, maybe get it alianed and mark the cams with some marking paint and see if the marks dont lign up after it starts pulling, just my advice, good luck

Old 07-15-2005 | 08:33 PM
|
Thanks Bigtruck 311 , I dont have 4wd and never go offroad.. But this sounds like a good idea,,Hey anything is well worth doing or looking at.. Thanks again..

Old 07-24-2005 | 10:52 PM
Truck of the Month
I had the same problem after I installed my lift and larger rims and tires. I also put an alignment cam kit in so they could alighn it. Took it to get aligned and a few days later it was pulling to the right, so I took it back, then same problem. Next time I took it back the alignment guy said he put a new washer in there and no problems since.

What seemed to happen was either he didnt tighten the bolts down enough or the bolts/washers just kept slipping from the correct alighnment position.

Do you have an alignment cam kit on your truck?

Old 07-25-2005 | 08:35 AM
Two possibilities come to mind. The first is a leaky tire. Most of the time, the first thing a competent tech will do before performing an alignment is ensure that all four tires are inflated to the same pressure, then perform the alignment. If, over the next couple of weeks, the tire pressure drops in one or more of the tires, a drift/pull can ensue. I've noticed that with as little as 1/2 PSI difference from the right front to the left front, my truck tends to drift one way or the other on the freeway. It's not the 8/2 you get, but it can be a contributing factor.

The second possibility I can think of is a bad idler arm. Most people don't realize it needs to be greased and is, in fact, the only greasable item on the front suspension/steering. They tend to fail and will make a proper alignment impossible.

I've got a couple other ideas, but need more info.... which spec is out of whack when you have it realigned? Toe, caster, or camber? They should be able to give you the specs before and after every time you go in there.

-Joe

Quick Reply: 98-150 Front End