Need Towing Advice Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005 | 06:45 PM
|
Need Towing Advice Help Please!

I own a 2004 FX4 ext cab 5.4 Liter w/ 3.73 gear ratio, I was recently told by an area mechanic (When he was installing my Magnaflow 16616) that I have some front inner tire wear. My mechanic told me that the reason for this is because the "stock" shocks (Not Ranchos) are not up to par with towing a 5500 LB travel trailer causing the front wheels to lift thus creating uneven tire wear. He suggested I go to a performace shock. My question is will a performance shock like Rancho help? I noticed the truck sits a little low in the back (I do have weight distribution stabilizer bars for the camper). Can somebody shed a little light on this subject. What would be the the correct & safe way to tow my 28 foot trailer (What kind of Mods would be suggested) . I really do not feel comfortable towing this trailer, even though I bought the FX4, which should be quite capable of doing the job with ease.

Last edited by StryperDude; 10-16-2005 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-16-2005 | 07:53 PM
1- The factory shocks suck and should be replaced, but they have nothing to do with the issues you've asked about. If the tires are wearing funny then you need the alignment checked and properly adjusted.

2- If the truck is still sitting low in the back and you "really do not feel comfortable towing this trailer", then you may need someone to show you how to properly set up your weight distribution bars. Or you simply have too much tongue weight.

3- How in the heck can a 28' trailer only weigh 5500 lbs? Are you sure that's not just the 'dry weight' before you started packing stuff in it and adding water, fuel, batteries and whatever else? Once you start approaching 9000 lbs or more, you're really pushing the envelope with a F150.

Old 10-16-2005 | 08:12 PM
I agree. Shocks are always a good upgrade, but I don't think they are your problem. I would suggest installing a set of airbags to your rear suspension.

Old 10-27-2005 | 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by RockyJSquirrel

3- How in the heck can a 28' trailer only weigh 5500 lbs? Are you sure that's not just the 'dry weight' before you started packing stuff in it and adding water, fuel, batteries and whatever else? Once you start approaching 9000 lbs or more, you're really pushing the envelope with a F150.

Can't speak for StryperDude but I've had my 25 Rockwood travel trailer on the scales and it weighs 3963 lbs ready to go camping, with the exception of water, so I can see where a 28 foot trailer could weigh 5500lbs.

cheers

Old 10-28-2005 | 02:25 AM
Hey stryperdude, I posted that Ride-rite air springs help when towing or hauling heavy loads and prevent sag. they assist the rear suspension. Our FX4 (i have read) have a lesser payload capacity. Don't know if it is the length of the bed, distribution of weight or what. If you do alot of hauling I recommend you check them out. This site has them and are shipped free.(for now i think)

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...tion/to=r.html

I tow a trailer and a vehicle myself and feel very confident in their ability. As well as I noticed better handling characteristics in the rear of the truck, also can help you level loads. Hope this helps.

Old 02-16-2006 | 09:07 PM
Look into different rear springs or airbags as suggested before. The shocks don't carry the load, only dampen the motion. I carry a 4500# trailer with about the same setup that you describe. I installed airbags and everything has been fine.

Old 02-16-2006 | 09:17 PM
Stryper,

I agree with the guys here. shocks are not your problem. My 28' trailer weighs nearly 7000 # and my 02 doesn't scare me at all. I think your problem lies with the way your WD bars are set. Most likely, the hitch head is not pitched "back" far enough. The more you tilt the ball axis backward, the more preload you get on the WD bars.

PM me if you need to and I can send to a picture of my hitch head setting.

Sidewinder

Quick Reply: Need Towing Advice Help Please!