Need Help NOW! Bilstein Installaton

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005 | 04:19 PM
|
Need Help NOW! Bilstein Installaton

I ordered a set of Bilsteins from Performance Products and am trying to install them today. I'm trying to mount the front shocks, but they seem to be too short. When the shock is in place with the rubber spacers, there isn't enough threads left for me to start the nut. What is going on?! The part number is F4-BE5-2574-H0

-Craig

Old 12-21-2005 | 08:27 PM
Any luck yet?

It's hard to say what your problem is without seeing the way you are installing them. I put Bilsteins on my truck shortly after buying it new, a 2003 Scab 5.4 ltr 4x4. The part #'s for me were;

F: BE5-2489
R: BE5-2490

They went on very easily. You seem to have the right part number if yours is a Scew. Don't really know what else to say except look at the way you are setting things up, or look at the way the old shocks came off, in reference to the bushings.

Good luck, maybe some pictures would help us help you.

Old 12-21-2005 | 09:00 PM
|
After much swearing and beer, I finally managed to get the shocks on. Let me say that when Ford designed the shock geometry, their heads must have been inserted in their . . . you know what I mean. It's rediculous, simply stupid. In any case, I'm still having one issue. How do I tighten the top nut on the rear passenger-side shock? I can't get the nut on far enough to slip my ratcheting wrench over the end and there is NO WAY to get an allen wrench on the top post to hold the rod from spining. I turned it as far as possible with a crescent wrench, but the rod spins and the nut won't tighten any more. How did you guys get around this problem? Please help, I'm desperate.

-Craig

Old 01-03-2006 | 10:19 PM
I had the exact same problem with the bilsteins I bought for my 97 4x4. They were too short. I just returned them, and left. I had to go with the cheap standard white american shock everyone and the mom has. Rides like crap. Good luck!.... I heard those bilsteins are a nice ride.

Old 01-04-2006 | 05:34 PM
White american shocks=Rancho? If so there's probably another reason your truck rides like crap. Worn balljoints, tie rods, bushings, etc?,,,,98

Quick Reply: Need Help NOW! Bilstein Installaton