04 F150 Rear lift with shackles shown.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006 | 11:15 AM
|
04 F150 Rear lift with shackles shown.

I picked up this kit a few weeks ago and am anticipating installation sometime next week:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPRIN...QQcmdZViewItem

My question is.....does the new replacement shackle replace the one that is there now?? The reason I am confused is because I figure that they should be longer than stock and not shorter as shown in the photo. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks.

Wayne.

Old 01-08-2006 | 04:36 PM
They replace the stock shackles. And they are supposed to be shorter than the stock ones. Look at how the shackle on the truck looks now, and then imagine it being shorter.

Shorter shackles move the axle farther away from the body.

Old 01-08-2006 | 09:28 PM
|
Sorry to be an idiot......

Originally Posted by Johngs
They replace the stock shackles. And they are supposed to be shorter than the stock ones. Look at how the shackle on the truck looks now, and then imagine it being shorter.

Shorter shackles move the axle farther away from the body.
So by installing the shorter shackles, the rear of the truck will be lifted?? Kinda seems like the other way around to me.

Thanks.

Old 01-11-2006 | 01:14 PM
Hey Yamon any word on the shock/spring replacement on your 2wd to raise it up to a 4wd level?

Thanks!
Mike

Last edited by trojanmike; 01-11-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2006 | 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by YaMon
So by installing the shorter shackles, the rear of the truck will be lifted?? Kinda seems like the other way around to me.

Thanks.
That's because on many trucks the shackles are what's called compression shackles with the shackle mounted to the frame and hanging down, and then connected to the leaf spring eye which is below the shackle. On the F150 the shackle is a tension shackle. With the shackle bolted to the frame (bracket) and then pointed upward and mounted to the leaf spring eye which is above the shackle. Take a look at your trucks rear suspension and you'll see what I mean. It's hard to describe, but being able to see it should clear it up.

Quick Reply: 04 F150 Rear lift with shackles shown.