Comments from alignment experts please

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006 | 04:49 PM
|
Comments from alignment experts please

Thanks for looking.

I recently replaced the upper and lower ball joints on my ’99 Scab. It looks like I’m going to have to install one of the adjustable cam kits to get the camber in spec.

Caster factory spec is 6.2+/-1 degree (left) and 6.7+/-1 degree (right). Right now both sides are at 6.7 degrees (positive, of course).

I’ve read that higher caster angles make the vehicle more stable at highway speeds but increase the steering effort. While I certainly like the stability, the steering effort is a pain while backing my boat (I’m a 150 lb. weakling).

With the cam alignment kit I’ll be able to lower the caster angle considerably. I’m wondering if I’ll get a noticeable improvement in steering effort (meaning lower) without a great deal of highway stability impact.

If this is worth trying, what minimum caster should I shoot for?

On the other hand, if this is a stupid idea, should I shoot for 6.2 left, 6.7 right per the factory spec? Why are they different?

Thank you,
Keith

Old 02-16-2006 | 08:54 PM
Don't bother. You won't see (or feel) and significant changes. Just use the kit to bring it back to spec. If you change your caster angles to severly you will do two things, 1) change your tire wear because of angle changes throughout the turning radius 2) you may also notice a tendency for the front end to "dance" under heavy braking (changes in the bump steer)

Old 02-16-2006 | 08:56 PM
The angles are different in order to counteract the crown in most roads

Quick Reply: Comments from alignment experts please