noise when going over speed bumps!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006 | 07:54 PM
|
noise when going over speed bumps!!!!!!

everyday i go over speed bumps on my way to school. and everytime i go over them and come back down it makes a squeaky noise. and its getting on my nerves.. the only thing im thinkin it could be is is my shocks. would else could it be and how do i fix it.. thanks

john

Old 02-07-2006 | 08:02 PM
I have a 01, try this might help, first spray the leaf springs in the back between eatch one, spray good with wd-40 or a good dry lube spray spray them good, mine use to squeek very bad but a little spray every few months and no more squeek. Another posibility is, had this happen to me is the bed bolts the bed would squeek when i ran over bumps couldnt figure it out for months till one day was loading things in it and it squeeked, had to get torch out to get the bolts off, and had to meet up with a snap on guy to buy the proper hex key socket for the bolts, bought new ones i think 14 for the bolt and retaining nut thing, after that never had a squeek again, but try the dry lube or wd-40 first on the leaf springs

Old 02-07-2006 | 08:12 PM
|
aight ill try it and see what happens tommorrow.. thanks

Old 02-07-2006 | 09:59 PM
I have a '99 f150 4x4 stock. I have gone through 3 sets of front carquest shocks that carquest claims to be 4x4 offroad shocks in about a 7 month period. Every time I go over any bump or pothole there is a knocking noise, like something is loose around the shock area. I was wondering if it wasn't the shocks but maybe it is my truck causing it. I have cranked up my torsion bars but my factory shocks never made this noise before. All the driving I do is city driving, hardly ever do I go offroad. If anybody as any info I would appreciate it.

Old 02-08-2006 | 05:59 PM
|
i put wd-40 everywere i could have last night and this mornin when i went over the speed bumps it still made the same sound. so what else could i do??or what could it be and it is only making the noise in the front.

Old 02-08-2006 | 08:10 PM
Sounds like you got bit by the ball joint bug. First, spray everything under the fron end that moves with WD-40. Then, if is doesn't work, get a set of MOOG ball joints and get to work...

Old 02-09-2006 | 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by 02ford-150
i put wd-40 everywere i could have last night and this mornin when i went over the speed bumps it still made the same sound. so what else could i do??or what could it be and it is only making the noise in the front.
It's probably your ball joints. Mine makes the same noise I plan on replacing them here shortly. I have also tried oiling everything upfront and the noise is still there. I wish ford would but grease zerks on their ball joints and this wouldn't happen, the stock ball joints are sealed and when that grease gets old you have to replace it instead of just greasing it up. The nice part is most aftermarket ball joints come with zerks.

Old 02-09-2006 | 06:23 PM
|
are they hard to put on and how much will they run me??? thanks

Old 02-13-2006 | 03:03 AM
another opinion

John...another opinion...my 03 Screw does the same thing...ford "fixed" the problem 3 times by replacing the bushings on the upper a-arm..it lasts about 6mos or until it gets really cold and the rubber loses its softness. I put the urethane bushings in (entire front end kit) and the problem went away completely...that was two yrs ago and if I remember right it was about $300 parts and labor

Originally Posted by 02ford-150
everyday i go over speed bumps on my way to school. and everytime i go over them and come back down it makes a squeaky noise. and its getting on my nerves.. the only thing im thinkin it could be is is my shocks. would else could it be and how do i fix it.. thanks

john

Old 02-13-2006 | 10:34 PM
|
were can i get them from

Old 02-14-2006 | 11:09 AM
Go faster!!! And you won't even notice the noise. They're called speed bumps, not slow bumps.

Old 02-14-2006 | 04:21 PM
http://www.rockauto.com carries moog parts.

Old 02-14-2006 | 08:29 PM
Hi guys,

My '02 Supercrew just started making the same noise. I am not that mechanically inclined so I thought it might be the shocks and ordered some. It did not fix the noise but I have a better ride now! After finding this thread I looked at the bushings on the A arms and they are really cracked and do not look like they are in the best of shape. To me the noise sounds like rubber squeeking so that could be the problem. Is the replacement as easy as removing the upper A arm and adding the new bushings (no special tools or anything?). Thanks.

Steve

Quick Reply: noise when going over speed bumps!!!!!!