what to do with Tow hooks during body lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006 | 04:58 PM
|
Exclamation what to do with Tow hooks during body lift

hey guys i need some help on a cosmetics question. im installing a 3 inch pa body lift this weekend on my 2001 4x4 supercrew i know there are a few options for what to do with the tow hook situation. First cutting off the hooks and replacing them, and second cutting the valance and letting them stick out the bottom. I think that the way wandell did it is the best looking, cutting off the tows hooks and trimming the frame back then later adding gmc tow hooks, but just how much work is that?? and how difficult is it? What will cut them off and where do i cut? are the new hooks as functional, and Is it worth the trouble or should i just trim the valance and let them stick out the bottom?

Old 02-16-2006 | 08:02 PM
Whats this talk about cutting them off? Mine are just bolted on with two bolts through the bottom of the frame rail...
I'll have to let Wandell chime in on his hooks, but IIRC, they pretty much bolt right in.

Old 02-17-2006 | 08:03 AM
I cut the ends of my frame rails off directly in front of where the OEM towhooks mount. I did this so I wouldn't have 2 or 3 inches of frame sticking out the towhook holes in my valance. It took me about 15 or 20 minutes to do this with a hacksaw. If the blade on my sawsall would have been a little longer I could have used it to cut them off in a few seconds. The GM towhooks bolted right up to the OEM holes using my original Ford hardware. Very simple.

Old 02-17-2006 | 02:50 PM
|
Exclamation before or after

do you cut that stuff after you remove the bumper?

Old 02-17-2006 | 04:12 PM
After. It would be just about impossible to cut the ends of the frame with the bumper attatched.

Old 02-17-2006 | 04:27 PM
|
how much

How much are the gmc tow hooks and where do i get them?

Old 02-17-2006 | 04:28 PM
My brother in law gave me a set. I'd check the local salvage yards or EBay. I'd guess about $20.

Old 02-23-2006 | 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
I cut the ends of my frame rails off directly in front of where the OEM towhooks mount. I did this so I wouldn't have 2 or 3 inches of frame sticking out the towhook holes in my valance. It took me about 15 or 20 minutes to do this with a hacksaw. If the blade on my sawsall would have been a little longer I could have used it to cut them off in a few seconds. The GM towhooks bolted right up to the OEM holes using my original Ford hardware. Very simple.

If the GM hook can be mounted to the to the factory holes why not just use the original hooks?

Old 02-23-2006 | 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by casper99
If the GM hook can be mounted to the to the factory holes why not just use the original hooks?
Because the factory hooks don't fit inside of the frame rail, and if you put them on the bottom of the rail they won't clear the bumper.

Old 02-23-2006 | 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by laxwarrior013
hey guys i need some help on a cosmetics question. im installing a 3 inch pa body lift this weekend on my 2001 4x4 supercrew i know there are a few options for what to do with the tow hook situation. First cutting off the hooks and replacing them, and second cutting the valance and letting them stick out the bottom. I think that the way wandell did it is the best looking, cutting off the tows hooks and trimming the frame back then later adding gmc tow hooks, but just how much work is that?? and how difficult is it? What will cut them off and where do i cut? are the new hooks as functional, and Is it worth the trouble or should i just trim the valance and let them stick out the bottom?
The stock tow hooks are bolted on the frame rail with two bolts. I unbolted the bottom piece of the valance and then left the tow hooks in their original position. A little black spray paint helps clean up the appearance of the exposed frame rails.

Quick Reply: what to do with Tow hooks during body lift