truck rides like a crate

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck rides like a crate

i have no idea what is going on with my truck lately. everything is ****** up all at once. the issue at hand is that my truck rides like i have solid rods for shocks. little history... i put rancho rs5000 shocks on about 2 years ago, with 35 in bf goodrich all terrain tires, cranked the torsion bars( do not recommend) which gave it clearance, added a 4 in block to the rear end. well now it feels like the truck is going to come apart every time i hit something as small as a manhole cover. the suspension feels tight but it makes some terriblede noises. especially from the front end. the rear end feels loose, which it isn't, and i get the worst wheel hop. i think the only fix is to splurge and get a real suspension lift. please help, any suggestions would be very appreciated. also does anyone even know if the rs5000 shocks are worth a spit.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Well, heres a few questions for ya:
How many miles on the shocks? What kind of miles (highway, off-road, dirt roads?)
Did it always ride like that since you did these mods?
How much did you crank the torsion bars, did you just level out the truck or did you crank them as much as you could?
What year is the truck and how many miles? Cranking the torsion bars alot and putting on bigger tires can cause some of the suspension components to wear quicker, it sounds like you might want to get the front end checked out.

Generally speaking if you dont go too crazy with the torsion bars, its not all that bad as far as stiffer ride and wearing components.

Old 02-17-2006, 03:40 PM
i would say the truck has 20-30k on the shocks. its pretty much all highway. its a 99 supercab flareside. as far as cranking the bars, i merely just leveled them. i did change out the upper and lower ball joints as well as the inner and outer tierod ends.(however i did get the parts from autozone). it definitely rode stiffer when i added the additions, but now it feels like my rear springs are shot, or the bushings, and it sounds like my ball joints are going, or maybe some bushings in the front end. not sure, but i do know i am geeting to the point of just putting on a whole suspension lift. that should cure everything....i think. but i would like to know what brand i should go with. don't know who has the better quality.

Old 02-20-2006, 06:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A 4" block between the rear leafs and the axle can certainly explain the wheel hop.... Ladder bars will help, but re-arched springs are what I always recommend.

The RS5000 series Monroes are just a re-badged Monroe Reflex. (both made by Tenneco Automotive in Monroe, MI) They're not bad, but there are better shocks available.

-Joe

Quick Reply: truck rides like a crate