body lift install trouble...HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006 | 12:53 AM
|
Unhappy body lift install trouble...HELP!!!

well me and my dad and a buddy all started on the install of a PA 3 inch body lift for my 2001 f-150 screw. everything was going well the radiator is out the bumpers are off and everthihng right up untill the bed bolts...the first two closest to the tailgate came out fine but then it got ugly...i have been spraying PB blaster on the for a week now and i just cant get em.. i kno alot of other people have had this problem too but were do i go from here...we had locking plyers on the nuts under the bed and when i wouldd spin the bolts it would just strip the nut......how do i get the rest of them out...where do i go from here

also how do i get to the nuts that are like in the fram

thanks guys

Old 02-18-2006 | 01:11 AM
Ok well I did not have the problem with the bolts luckily but I have helped many of friends who have had this problem. The only thing you can do is one of a couple of things... If you have a welder 1.weld a fairly good size nut on top of the bolt if it is stripping out that usually works if you know how to weld
2. Take a cutting wheel and cut them out 3. If the heads are not stripped out I dont know if you are using an impact wrench but if you are try using a normal wratchet and if you have to get a cheater bar.. Now as far as the bolts you are talking about for the frame you are going to have to be more specific.. Unless you are talking about the bolts that hold the cable from the body of your truck to the frame??? Any more questions keep asking I have done these one to many times.. Did you just soak the bolts right before you started???

Good Luck let us know the progress
Brandon

Old 02-18-2006 | 09:30 AM
|
Unhappy thanks

No i have been soaking the bolts for a week and a half, but i didnt know that the bolts had nuts on the bottom of the bed. As far as the bolts that i could not reach are the one above the gas tank and the one that is on the passenger side and seems to be in the frame rail. I dont know how to get to it....they are the two bolts that are the farthest from you if you are standing at the tailgate... i do not know how to weld nor do i have a welder.. and i dont want to be grinding above the gas tank becase BOOM ..so i guess were going to have to try and drill them out or grind them off...but any further advice on how to get to these two bolts would be awesome guys..thanks

Last edited by laxwarrior013; 02-18-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-18-2006 | 09:50 AM
I agree with Brandon. The best thing to do is to tack weld a nut onto the bed bolt. If you just cut the head off, how are your gonna get the bolt out? Also, look for a hole in the frame covered by a rubber/plastic plug. I remember a couple of bolts on a friends Expy that were accessed like this.

Old 02-18-2006 | 10:27 AM
Well I am beyond ideas. The only thing left I can say is to take a huge pair of channel locks and get someone who can hold some weight and grip the bottom like a SOB. If that doesnt work I guess drillin it out or cutting the bolt as many place as you can get a cuttin wheel in. Goold Luck...

Brandon

Old 02-18-2006 | 12:45 PM
when I was doing my body lift last wk.,there was one bolt that didnt want to come out at all. the bolt was stripped so me and my dad just cut it off and grinded it down to the frame then banged it out. Its gonna take alittle time and patience b/c of how they sit against the frame.

Old 02-20-2006 | 11:51 AM
try having someone weld a nut to the top and heat the nut on the bottem

Old 02-20-2006 | 01:47 PM
Just a thought (and I'm not familiar with this particular application) but have you tried heating the bolt to remove it? Heat that bolt up till it's cherry red and it should come right out. I have to do this on another one of my vehicles that requires red Loc-Tite be used when putting the brakes together ... only way to later remove it is with heat.

Just a thought, good luck,
Carl

Old 02-20-2006 | 06:32 PM
Cut it. I had a friend that had the same problem. Crawl underneath and cut it inside the frame rail. All six of his were corroded in place. It's the easiest way to do it.

-Joe

Old 02-21-2006 | 12:55 AM
How about a little heat to the nut side to get above the 500 degrees required by the Red Permatex to soften? I'm thinking that is what my brother did when we did mine a few years ago.

Old 02-21-2006 | 07:12 AM
Originally Posted by RkyMtnFordFan
How about a little heat to the nut side to get above the 500 degrees required by the Red Permatex to soften? I'm thinking that is what my brother did when we did mine a few years ago.
There shouldn't be any loctite on those bolts from the factory. However, there SHOULD be when you install the new ones.

-Joe

Old 02-21-2006 | 08:04 AM
There was a ton of Loctite on all of my body mounting bolts. In fact, I'm now convinced Ford owns stock in Loctite!

Old 02-21-2006 | 06:54 PM
The biggest problem with those bolts is rust. There's so much thread exposed through the nut that after a few years of rust swells those bolts, there's not a chance in hades those threads are going to fit back through the nut. That's why I always cut 'em. It makes things so much easier....

-Joe

Old 02-22-2006 | 05:58 PM
I had the same problem with mine. I couldnt get any loose. I ended up grinding the heads off and hammering them down through. The bottom nut end was only secured to the frame with clips. Pretty easy really to just push them down through once the head was gone. Dont know if this helps but good luck.

Old 02-22-2006 | 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by GIJoeCam
There shouldn't be any loctite on those bolts from the factory. However, there SHOULD be when you install the new ones.

-Joe
there was locktite on mine from the factory also, i did my body lift with very low mile and there was no rust, i could see the locktite on the bolts after i got them out

Quick Reply: body lift install trouble...HELP!!!