do i need the metal clips that hold bolt on bottom of the bed

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation do i need the metal clips that hold bolt on bottom of the bed

OK i wrote something a few days ago about how i could not get the bed bolts out to put my body lift on...well....i got them out, but it took some seriouse "persuasion" on 4 of the 6 bolts i had to grind off the clips on the bottom of the bed that hold the bottom of the bed bolts...it says in the manual failure to replace all oem parts could result in serious injury.. but we were thinking of maybe only just putting in the replacment bolts and nuts,,,basically what i am asking, is do i need to go to ford and have those brackets replaced...or has anyone experienced living without them???

thanks

Old 02-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you referring to the clips that also serve as nuts? If you are, replacing them with a regular nut and washer should be fine.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:14 PM
Ya your putting longer bolts in so on the new bolt your going to have new washers and a new nut. Be sure you lock tight the the livin hell out of em. The more the better..

Brandon

Old 02-20-2006, 09:20 AM
Exclamation yeh it is the clip that also serves as a nut!

wandell it is the clip that serves as a nut...when couldent get the bolts out so my dad just cut the clips off on 4 of the 6 bolts. So u think if i just use the PA bolts and washers and put lock tite on it i will be ok..??? because in the directions it says WARNING failure to replace oem parts could result in seriouse injury or property damage...I mean i agree with you i thought i would be fine without the clips...but i just wanted to check and make sure some more people thought it would be ok like that...and see maybe if anyone else had left it without them

Old 02-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think a standard nut and washer would be stronger.

Old 02-20-2006, 06:05 PM
your prob right

yeh your probably right they probably just have to right that...when u put your lift on did u re-use the clips or did u use a standard nut and washer??

Old 02-20-2006, 06:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In most of the kits, IIRC, the bed bolts are a larger diameter and you couldn't re-use the OEM nuts if you wanted to.

The nuts are just tacked to the clip to hold them to the frame rails during the assembly process. It's a convenience for the installer so they don;t have to have someone underneath the truck holding the nut when they run the bed bolts down.

-Joe

Old 02-20-2006, 11:52 PM
When I installed my body lift I threw the clips away I used the PA nuts and bolts.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:17 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
They are called U nuts. You do not have to keep the clip part. My PA kit didn't have any extra nuts for the Bed bolts so I used some of the U nuts that were still intact and used Bumper nuts for the rest of the bolts.

JMC

Quick Reply: do i need the metal clips that hold bolt on bottom of the bed