Different Front Leveling Question ????

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006 | 10:05 AM
|
Different Front Leveling Question ????

Ok, this one is real confusing. I need an answer. Experts only apply .

I drive a 2004 2WD Lariat. Last month I installed a front leveling kit. The actual heigth was 1 5/8" and was suppose to give me 2 1/2" lift. Here's where it gets confusing.....In addition, I took the front shocks from a FX4 and installed at the same time. The additional length of the 4x4 shocks vs. the 4x2 is 5/8". My vehicle went from 34" ground to bottom of lip to 39". That is a 5" increase. I love the way it feels and looks, the suspension is a lot stiffer that how it was. The height is EQUAL to a 4x4 with the leveling kit installed.

Well today I went to have the vehicle aligned ( just bought new tires) and they said the camber looked to be far out. I am thinking I may have to put back the 4x4 with the 4x2 shocks or.......

Install new 4x2 Bilsteins and the FRONT SPRING from the 4x4 to give me back the firm ride.

Initially I thought that the additional 5/8 could not give an additional 2 1/2" lift, but now I am not sure. See calculation:

1 1/2" spacer = 2" lift
1 5/8" spacer = 2 1/2" lift
1 5/8" spacer + 5/8" add'l length of 4x4 shock = 3 1/4" calculates 5 1/2" lift.

Does everyone else agree??

What would you do???? I need to get me truck aligned soon. The old tires are really wearing fast and bad.

Thanks All.

Old 03-11-2006 | 04:45 PM
I have a few questions along the same lines. I have a 2005 Fx4 I am thinking of puting the Leveling kit on mine as well. I was wondering if it would affect the toe of my truck? Also they sell 2 styles, 2 inch aluminum and 2 inch polyurethane. My guess would be the poly 1's..

Question #2 I have some 20inch LiquidMetal wheels.. anyone had rubbing probs with 20's on there f-150?

Old 03-11-2006 | 05:28 PM
|
You are safe......

You won't have a problem raising the front 2" with a spacer. When you get it, it won't be 2" tall, it will be 1 1/2" tall. As far as the 20" wheels, there are tons of postings re: that application.

The reason my application is different is that I am using a shock designed for a 4x4 on a 4x2 with a 2 1/2" spacer. Does really weird things to the lift calculation.

Wonder how much lift I would get if I just install the 4x4 shocks and nothing else?? Does anyone know what the spring rate is on the 4x2 vs 4x4 springs??

Old 03-11-2006 | 06:46 PM
Yamon I've noticed on alot of your posts you always are trying to create these mythical lifts that no one else has achieved. Like on that one post where you were switching 2wd parts with 4wd and never posted pics or said you were finished. I'm slapping myself for entereing.

Old 03-11-2006 | 07:44 PM
|
Not mythical just busy.....

Yea, I hear ya. Truth of the matter is I am a very busy person and what I am trying to do is cery unorthodox and would not trust anyone to do, would you?? This may be the second time I am going to remove it and try something else, how much do you think you would have to pay someone to do it 2 or 3 times to get it right.

I know I'll figure it out in the end and if you or anyone else wants to help, great. i'll post for everyone to see so that they daon't have to go through all the trial and error. If I don't hear from anyone, well....good luck everyone.

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-11-2006 | 07:47 PM
|
Go back to the original posts...

Originally Posted by Silver05
Yamon I've noticed on alot of your posts you always are trying to create these mythical lifts that no one else has achieved. Like on that one post where you were switching 2wd parts with 4wd and never posted pics or said you were finished. I'm slapping myself for entereing.

If you go back to the original post, you will see that it was completed. You may also not know this, but everyone that posted that they wanted to know what happened( like Bill), I personally sent them a PM to let them know it was completed. Appologise for being so busy, don't have as much time as you do to work on the truck.

Old 03-12-2006 | 12:10 AM
I don't have time I just pay to have it done. Like next week I'm dropping 31hundred for mmy Fabtech and wheels. Eaiest way done instead of scrapping stuff together.

Old 03-12-2006 | 07:48 AM
|
Seems to me .......

Originally Posted by Silver05
I don't have time I just pay to have it done. Like next week I'm dropping 31hundred for mmy Fabtech and wheels. Eaiest way done instead of scrapping stuff together.
Seems to me anyone can run out and buy a kit and have someone install it for them, but what's the fun in that. These forums were designed for people that like to actually work on their trucks and exchange ideas. The feeling of fulfillment after finishing a good job is great and if anything happens you don't have to line up on saturday mornings to have it fixed.

Seems to me if you dan't have something to add or constructive to not post anything. Just like your previous post to the newbie, just answer the question or stay out.

Thanks.....for nothing.

Old 03-12-2006 | 10:09 AM
Its fun to me because for the last half of my spring break I'll be able to tear up the beaches down here in my fabtech kit with my girlfriend riding next to me. I'm really not trying to be an **** its just my personality dude.

Old 03-13-2006 | 07:41 AM
|
Everything is cool....

Just like to experiment with the truck to get the best performance. Just found a 3" kit for sale, may just end up putting that on instead. I sure love the 5" lift on the front though, but if it won't align...makes no sense in keeping it.

Have a cool spring break.

Old 03-14-2006 | 11:08 AM
Ahhhh....now I know what you are saying

Originally Posted by YaMon
You won't have a problem raising the front 2" with a spacer. When you get it, it won't be 2" tall, it will be 1 1/2" tall. As far as the 20" wheels, there are tons of postings re: that application.

The reason my application is different is that I am using a shock designed for a 4x4 on a 4x2 with a 2 1/2" spacer. Does really weird things to the lift calculation.

Wonder how much lift I would get if I just install the 4x4 shocks and nothing else?? Does anyone know what the spring rate is on the 4x2 vs 4x4 springs??
I finally figured what YAMON is trying to say:

1. He took out his stock 2x4 front coilover - strut & spring.
2. He then installed a 4x4 front coilover
3. He then installed a 2" leveling kit

OK - The reason you gained more than 2 inches is simple. The 4 x 4 sits almost 2 inches higher than the 2x4. Then you added a 2" spacer = 4 inches of total lift.

Here is where I tend to disagree - You stated that a 2" leveling kit will only get you 1 1/2 " - this is incorrect

Also - your front end may sit as high as a 4x4 w/leveling kit, but you didn't mention anything about raising the rear as well - the 2x4 sits about 2" lower in the rear also

Old 03-14-2006 | 04:39 PM
|
Not Quite So Simple.

Originally Posted by Toeless
I finally figured what YAMON is trying to say:

1. He took out his stock 2x4 front coilover - strut & spring.
2. He then installed a 4x4 front coilover
3. He then installed a 2" leveling kit

OK - The reason you gained more than 2 inches is simple. The 4 x 4 sits almost 2 inches higher than the 2x4. Then you added a 2" spacer = 4 inches of total lift.

YES, BUT THE 4X4 COILOVER IS ONLY 5/8" TALLER THAN THE 4X2 COILOVER. SO WHERE IS THE ADDITIONAL LIFT COMING FROM?? COULD THE SPRING BE STIFFER??

Here is where I tend to disagree - You stated that a 2" leveling kit will only get you 1 1/2 " - this is incorrect

NO, WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY IS THAT TO GET 2" LIFT FROM A SPACER, THE SPACER WILL ONLY BE 1 1/2" TALL, TO GET A 2 1/2" LIFT, THE SPACER IS 1 5/8" TALL.

Also - your front end may sit as high as a 4x4 w/leveling kit, but you didn't mention anything about raising the rear as well - the 2x4 sits about 2" lower in the rear also
TRY AND FOLLOW THIS.....STOCK FRONT WAS 34" FROM GROUND TO BOTTOM OF LIP. STOCK BACK WAS 37" GRD TO LIP. ADD 5" TO FRONT ( THAT IS WHAT I GOT AFTER DONG THE ABOVE = 39". I ADDED A 2" BLOCK IN THE BACK, SO THAT ENDED UP AT 39" ALSO. BEAUTIFUL!!!!

LOVED HOW IT FELT AND LOOKED. PROBLEM IS THAT I WENT TO GET IT ALIGNED AND THERE IS A POSITIVE CAMBER ( BOTTOM IS STICKING OUT) ON THE FRONT AND THERE ARE NO ADJUSTMENTS FOR IT. SEEMS LIKE I MAY HAVE RAISED IT TOO MUCH. I AM NOW CONSIDERING ONE OF 3 THINGS.

1. REUSE THE FRONT 4X2 COILOVER WITH THE SPACER AND CHANGE OUT THE SHOCKS TO BILSTEINS, TRUCK HAS 23,000 MILES AND DON'T WANT TO DO THIS AGAIN.
2. SAME AS ABOVE BUT USE THE SPRING FROM THE 4X4.
3. GUY IS SELLING A SKYJACKER 3" PLATINUM KIT FOR $200 LOCALLY. HE USED IT FOR ABOUT 7000 MILES AND NEEDS TO TURN THE TRUCK BACK TO THE DEALER.

BIGGEST ??? IS WHERE IS THE ADDITIONAL LIFT COMING FROM THE 4X4 SHOCKS. DOES 5/8" MAKE THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE? OR IS IT THE STIFFNESS OF THE SPRING?? I HATE DOING THIS 2 MORE TIMES BUT I LOVE HOW FIRM THE 4X4 SHOCKS RIDE VS. THE 4X2.

SORRY FOR THE SHOUTING, JUST WANTED TO DIFFERENTIATE YOUR POST AND MINE.

LATER.

Old 03-15-2006 | 12:49 PM
I'd say that the combination of the longer spring and the spacer is definately what's causing the excessive negative camber. If you like the ride, but still want some of the height, yank the spacer and see what that does for the height/alignment issue. The extra down-travel of the upper control arm is what's causing it. A camber kit may solve the problem (if anyone makes one for the newer trucks) but if you want to retain the stock components, doing what you did will (logically) cause what happened.

Now, why are you yelling? We can tell the difference between the two posts. Yours says, 'YaMon' at the top, his says 'Toeless'. No need to yell.

Old 03-15-2006 | 02:36 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor
Talk to your alignment shop. They could try cutting a horrizontal slot in the lower A-arm mounts on the frame. This will allow you to push the a-arm outward/inward to correct the camber. Or you could try inlarging the slots in the uppers or shifting the ears over. This involves welding. You could also look for a company that can make a custom steering knuckle with an off set spindle.

JMC

Quick Reply: Different Front Leveling Question ????