Removing block spacers on FX4

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006 | 08:22 AM
|
Removing block spacers on FX4

Has anyone removed the rear spacers tha sit between the leaf spring and the axle on late model 4X4´s ? Mine is a ´05 FX4. How is it done??. I want to level it and by removing this block it pretty much gets leveled. Also, will this affect the handling??. Thanks for your suggestions guys¡¡

Old 03-16-2006 | 08:52 AM
A few members have done this. It shouldn't affect anything.

Old 03-16-2006 | 09:10 AM
|
How hard is it to remove them?? Any tips on how to do it?? Thanks¡¡

Old 03-16-2006 | 09:12 AM
It's pretty straight forward. You may need shorter u-bolts. Basically, jack up the truck by the frame, loosen the u-bolts and slide the blocks out.

Old 03-16-2006 | 10:21 AM
|
Thanks a lot man¡¡¡ . I will get to it this weekend.

Old 03-16-2006 | 10:48 AM
Global Moderator &
Do a search for removing the blocks. Someone wrote up a summary of it in last couple of days. You need the U-bolts from the 4x2 to replace your longer u-bolts.

Old 03-16-2006 | 10:53 AM
You should also consider getting an alignment when you are done...

Old 03-16-2006 | 11:06 AM
I removed the blocks on mine ('05 xlt scab) for the same reason. I had no negative effects as far as handling. I had the alignment checked afterwards, and it was fine, too. The u-bolts can be replaced with 4x2 bolts if you have them available. The local stealership did not have them in stock, of course, so I made spacers (just thick washers, basically) because I didn't want to wait. In order to keep everything as straight as possible, I did one side at a time. I can't remember exactly how it went as far as the steps go, but just use some common sense. You have to loosen things up and then jack the truck up just enough to get the block out. Be careful, of course. Once the block is out you can bolt that side back up and do the other side.

I think the whole thing took me about an hour and a half. My truck sits the way I like it now.

Good luck!

Old 03-16-2006 | 02:29 PM
|
Thanks a lot guys. I will give it a shot this saturday. Liked the idea of the spacers instead of getting new U bolts.

Old 03-17-2006 | 06:41 AM
|
Since it looked simple enough to take the blocks out, decided to try it last night. Everything was going smooth until one of the pin bolts couldn´t be removed. It is a threaded pin that you can access from the top of the leaf spring but there is no way to hold it at the bottom (it´s round) and the thing didn´t come loose, just rotated as a whole. Couldn´t hold it on bottom because it´s round and hard to get any wrench in there. Any suggestions??
Had to put everything back together as it was. Very frustrating¡¡¡

Old 03-17-2006 | 04:30 PM
I'm confused as to what "pin bolt" you are referring to. If I remember right, I removed the nuts from the u-bolts and then jacked that corner up just enough to get the block out. The blocks have an alignment hole in them that mates with a pin, but I did not have to unbolt anything. After the block was out I lowered the truck slowly back onto the axle and bolted it up using the spacers I made, and then did the other side. I had to "persuade" one side to drop onto the pin, but a swift kick was all that was necessary (probably not a "recommended" practice.....). The other side dropped down right where it needed to be.

Sorry you had trouble!

Old 03-18-2006 | 08:10 PM
Do not remove the stack bolts

Originally Posted by flavio marco
Since it looked simple enough to take the blocks out, decided to try it last night. Everything was going smooth until one of the pin bolts couldn´t be removed. It is a threaded pin that you can access from the top of the leaf spring but there is no way to hold it at the bottom (it´s round) and the thing didn´t come loose, just rotated as a whole. Couldn´t hold it on bottom because it´s round and hard to get any wrench in there. Any suggestions??
Had to put everything back together as it was. Very frustrating¡¡¡
I think you are probably trying to remove the bolts that holds the stack of flat springs together. No need to do that, just remove the 4 bolts from the two U bolts and jack it up.

Old 03-21-2006 | 06:51 AM
|
There are two bolts holding the spacers to the leaf spring. I finally got them out. Now the truck sits leveled. What a beauty¡¡¡¡ Thanks a lot for your information guys.

Old 03-21-2006 | 09:58 AM
Glad to hear you got them out. I think it's interesting that my truck did NOT have any bolts holding the blocks in.

I agree tht these trucks look much better sitting level.

Old 03-21-2006 | 12:23 PM
I have an '02 FX4 that I have already cranked the torsion bars on to level the truck out. It is close to level now, but not quite perfect. Could I remove the blocks on my truck and replace them with some that are about 1/2" shorter?

Quick Reply: Removing block spacers on FX4