Different Size Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006 | 11:50 PM
|
Different Size Rear Shocks

Ok, I'm driving a 2000 XL Regular cab, 4.6L v8 4x4. I have done zero mods to it since I bought it.

I bought the truck in 2001, after it had been leased by someone else for a year. Ford never really outlined what this guy did with the truck while he had it, so I've been discovering things for myself. (Such as my step is dented underneath from a rock I would imagine he hit offroading)
Just yesterday I noticed two different size shocks on the back. My guess is this guy blew one and replaced it, without changing the other. The difference is not much, probably an inch or less in diameter, never measured.

Anyway, question is: Is this a problem in any way? Should I do something about it or not bother? It hasn't been giving me trouble since I bought it, so my guess is it's fine.

Thanks

Old 03-24-2006 | 01:00 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Sounds like you don't push it too hard in corners, so on the surface I would say it is ok.

Thing is, if the Damping is different, if you have to do an evasive maneuver like a quick right then left, it very well might handle different each way, and if you are expecting it to come back around the same way as the first turn, it might not.
This is about the only place I would see having 2 different shocks would make a difference.
Take it with a grain of salt, I ( and I would guess the same as you ) always match all 4 the same, compression and rebound damping abilities.
At the very least when replacing one end, I would match the model & mfgr, and do both sides.
Given my real suspension knowledge is from motorcycles, which a mismatch on a single wheel is detrimental to handling, as in wad up on a freeway on / off ramp.

Old 03-24-2006 | 01:36 AM
|
This truck is mostly just for in-town driving right now anyways. I'm on a student budget, so mods (other than stereo of course) are pretty much out of my budget for the time being. If my sister doesn't blow my transmission to hell (5-speed, I'm terrified of when she attempts to drive it) while I'm gone during the next three years, I'll come back and do some proper work on it. Until then, as long as the shocks aren't going to cause a problem for street driving, I won't worry about it.

Thanks for the response!

Quick Reply: Different Size Rear Shocks