Every installed your own Liftkit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006 | 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Jeeps&Fords
Big difference between his Jeep and your Ford. His Jeep is much easier than your Ford.

If you have all the tools, and average or better mechanical skills, then you could probably tackle it. Remember that messing with suspension can kill you or someone else if it isn't installed correctly, and there are things that can injure or kill you if not handled correctly during the install (a compressed spring holds A LOT of energy) - if you have any question as to your skills, then let a shop do it.
Hmmm I don't know about that. I've put a 6" on my Jeep TJ and helped a buddy with his 4" rancho on his 05 F150. I would say the Jeep is much more difficult. Much more crap you have to deal with. The F150 was much more straight forward. If you can do the Jeep I think you can easily do your truck

Old 06-30-2006 | 02:19 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by Wes28376
Hmmm I don't know about that. I've put a 6" on my Jeep TJ and helped a buddy with his 4" rancho on his 05 F150. I would say the Jeep is much more difficult. Much more crap you have to deal with. The F150 was much more straight forward. If you can do the Jeep I think you can easily do your truck
The 4" Skyjacker on my buddy's 94 jeep was nothing compared to my 6" Fabtech. If you've worked on the new 04+ F-150's you'll realize it's a pain to work with the front IFS, the rear was done in a couple hours (solid axle). If you had a 6" with longarms, etc it might have been more difficult but I still don't see that. Jeeps are very straightforward, there was no cutting for the kit.

Old 06-30-2006 | 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
The 4" Skyjacker on my buddy's 94 jeep was nothing compared to my 6" Fabtech. If you've worked on the new 04+ F-150's you'll realize it's a pain to work with the front IFS, the rear was done in a couple hours (solid axle). If you had a 6" with longarms, etc it might have been more difficult but I still don't see that. Jeeps are very straightforward, there was no cutting for the kit.
Yes the 4" lift on a YJ is very simple. It is solid axle with leave springs. In 97 wrangler went to coil springs front and rear and made things much more difficult.

I installed a Rubicon Express 5.5" (actually measures over 6.5") Long arm suspension on my TJ. It requires you to cut off the old control arm brackets and put on new ones which are mounted to the included skid plate. Then you have to set the 8 new control arms to the right length which in turn is setting your front and rear differential pinion angles. This can be really frustrating because adjusting these control arms requires you to take them back off adjust them and put them back on. A real pain in the butt. If the pinion angle isn't set just right the jeep will vibrate so bad that it will cause you transmission and differentials to leak. On top of this you have to add a slip yoke eliminator which requires you to tear apart the transfer case. You also have to add a new rear driveshaft. The actual lift took about 10 hrs to install in my garage, and about another 10hrs of dialing it in. I would install a 4-6" lift on a F150 anyday compared to a TJ.

Don't get me wrong. Once you get a TJ set up with the right suspension and gears there is no better trail vehicle. I love my Jeep, but we are starting a family soon and it just doesn't make a good family vehicle.

Old 06-30-2006 | 05:08 PM
Banned for Use of Multiple Usernames
A TJ long arm kit is cake compared to IFS. Not quite sure why yours took so long. They can be installed completely (including adjusting the arms) in 5-6 hours. 04 and later F150 are also easier than the 97-03 because you don't have to deal with torsion bars. 96-earlier are super simple. I guess it is just a matter of experience.

Old 06-30-2006 | 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by Jeeps&Fords
A TJ long arm kit is cake compared to IFS. Not quite sure why yours took so long. They can be installed completely (including adjusting the arms) in 5-6 hours. 04 and later F150 are also easier than the 97-03 because you don't have to deal with torsion bars. 96-earlier are super simple. I guess it is just a matter of experience.
Yeah never said I was an expert. It was my first jeep lift and I did it in my garage with hand tools. Although when I called around most of the shops quoted me 8hrs labor. If you can put on a long arm in 5-6 hrs you must have done it quite a few times.

Old 07-01-2006 | 12:07 AM
Truck of the Month
Took me around 17 hours, give or take 5 (really didn't keep track). Getting the stock parts off was a pain and the front IFS was a good bit of the painful process. All I had was hand tools, definitely wasn't a pride thing.

Old 07-01-2006 | 12:57 AM
MY ZJ Long Arm kit was not cake. Two days of wrenching to complete. Involved pulling the rear axle, cutting off and grinding down stock brackets on axle and unibody. Welding up 4-link axle truss, welding up new subframe, extending all brake lines............lots of care and time put into measuring for proper pinion angle throughout travel before welding up the axle brackets.

Quick Reply: Every installed your own Liftkit?