Worries with Autospring 2" leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006 | 11:05 PM
|
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Exclamation Worries with Autospring 2" leveling kit

Well im new here, I have an 05 screw FX4, and I have been rummaging through the forums and I have seen alot of negatives about the Autospring leveling kits, and alot of good things about them. I recently bought the 2" leveling kit, and before I put it on I was wondering if I could get some feedback on the pros and cons to see if I really want to put it on my truck. Im about to go into college and ill be doing alot of driving between Lubbock and Amarillo (TX). I had read somewere someone had trouble with the ball joints and severe angles??? Yall can tell me if this is a repost and whatnot, ill take no offense to it. Thanks, Matt

Last edited by FX4life; 07-01-2006 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-06-2006 | 12:54 AM
I just got rid of a Jeep Cherokee with 10" of lift and 37" tires...my point it had every screwed up angle, noise etc. you name it. It was AWESOME on the trails but tough going down the road. When I bought my 06 Supercrew I told myself that I was going to do nothing to screw THIS truck up. So I was apprehensive about everything myself. I just put the 2" autospring on my 06(about 1500 miles ago) and havent even noticed the difference (in a good way) Aside from correcting the rake and having it sit perfectly level I have noticed ZERO problems or changes. It steers the same, rides the same and responds the same. I would do it again without hesitation. I think you would find more speculation than actual proof that parts are going to wear prematurely etc. The new style Autospring (which I have) has an offset, no rubbing on the coils etc. I wouldnt worry about it.

Old 06-06-2006 | 01:52 PM
Nothing wrong with running a spacer.

Old 06-07-2006 | 09:20 AM
If I had a 2.5" AS maybe I would be worried about the ball joint angle. Most people who have issues have the 2.5". I wouldn't worry with the 2". Be sure to get the toe adjusted after installation. I have had mine on for 10,000 miles with no issues.

Old 06-07-2006 | 11:11 AM
I have added one it works perfect and looks so much better!!!!!

Old 06-07-2006 | 01:17 PM
|
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
How much hauling or towing do any of yall do with this kit on there?? Thanks for all the help too, mine still hasnt come in the mail, but when it does ill get it on and get some pics up.

Old 06-07-2006 | 03:16 PM
I have the old 2'' AS on my 05 screw and it fine. Very minor spring contact, just a rub mark not a tare. Ive done some 4 wheeling and a 3k mile trip with my kids and wife and a full bed and no problems what so ever.

Old 06-07-2006 | 04:00 PM
I've had the new design Autospring 2.5 on my 05 4x4 Screw for 4 months now and everything Muddyape said is true. Can't tell the difference. I pull a 20 foot boat so I have also added the Skyjacker 1.5" add a leafs so the rear doesn't sag and it when not pulling or loaded it still has a hint of front rake like the 2" kit gives.

Do it, you won't regret it.

Old 06-08-2006 | 10:11 PM
I've had the latest generation (re-designed) 2.5" AS for about 6 months now...no problems whatsoever.

Old 06-08-2006 | 10:27 PM
I have the 2" Auto Spring (1-5/8" actual) and have no problems. Well, okay, blew out 1 ball joint installing the damn thing! In my gallery, I have a close up of it installed (as well as a far shot) and you will notice a little nick on the coil. This is from the installation and the upper control arm rubbing against it whilst the installation. I had the underbody rust proof done at dealership when bought and that was all that the nick is.

Drove about 800 miles or so with no alignment done. Tread wear still looks normal and the truck still drives straight.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the old style Auto Spring and the new? I bought mine from a fellow member here about 3 months ago and finally installed it last month.

Thanks,

Old 06-09-2006 | 06:05 PM
Lift those worries away !!!

Originally Posted by FX4life
Well im new here, I have an 05 screw FX4, and I have been rummaging through the forums and I have seen alot of negatives about the Autospring leveling kits, and alot of good things about them. I recently bought the 2" leveling kit, and before I put it on I was wondering if I could get some feedback on the pros and cons to see if I really want to put it on my truck. Im about to go into college and ill be doing alot of driving between Lubbock and Amarillo (TX). I had read somewere someone had trouble with the ball joints and severe angles??? Yall can tell me if this is a repost and whatnot, ill take no offense to it. Thanks, Matt
Don't worry about it. Just use a fab-tech add a leaf and you'll be happy. People that complain or have problems don't know what they are doing.Just have a professional do the install and re-align the front when you lift the front. You should'nt have to aligh again when you do the rear. You will be happy with the new look of your truck.

Old 06-10-2006 | 07:35 PM
ive had the 2.5 as on for 20,000 miles no trouble what soever when i first installed them it was like getting a new truck again do it you wont regret it

Old 06-11-2006 | 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by beowulf
Can anyone tell me the difference between the old style Auto Spring and the new? I bought mine from a fellow member here about 3 months ago and finally installed it last month.

Thanks,
I believe the new style has angled supports like this (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

NEW

I believe the old style supports are straight up and down.

I have had my 2.5" autospring leveling kit on for a couple of days now and I couldn't be happier with the appearance and ride quality. So far it is the best mod made to my truck and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Old 06-12-2006 | 04:53 AM
Thanks wxscpo,

It's all gravy then, I too, have the angled supports. I can't see the difference between the angled and the verticle supports. As long as there are supports, it shouldn't matter, should it?

Old 06-12-2006 | 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Muddyape
I just got rid of a Jeep Cherokee with 10" of lift and 37" tires...my point it had every screwed up angle, noise etc. you name it. It was AWESOME on the trails but tough going down the road. When I bought my 06 Supercrew I told myself that I was going to do nothing to screw THIS truck up. So I was apprehensive about everything myself. I just put the 2" autospring on my 06(about 1500 miles ago) and havent even noticed the difference (in a good way) Aside from correcting the rake and having it sit perfectly level I have noticed ZERO problems or changes. It steers the same, rides the same and responds the same. I would do it again without hesitation. I think you would find more speculation than actual proof that parts are going to wear prematurely etc. The new style Autospring (which I have) has an offset, no rubbing on the coils etc. I wouldnt worry about it.
Is your truck a 4x4? Sure looks good lifted. My truck is a 2005 F150,but not a 4x4. Where did you get the lift?

Quick Reply: Worries with Autospring 2" leveling kit