Leaf Spring Shackles

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006 | 05:00 PM
|
Leaf Spring Shackles

Hello All,

I broke the leaf spring shackles on my 95 F150 on one side. How likely is it that I'm able to remove the bolts if I don't own air tools?

Also will I be able to flex the leaf spring far enough to reconnect it to the hanger?

I was quoted $60 per side to have it done and the part is $20. Should I just get it done?

Tom

Old 06-23-2006 | 08:26 AM
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=244009

Me too, well the support bracket not the shackle. But to fix it I have to remove the shackle.

The bolt thru the leaf will not budge so I am looking for an impact wrench as the pros tell me that is what it takes.

There is a rubber bushing thru the leaf and the bolt is rusted. Maybe some heat on the bushing will help loosen things up.

My problem was the bracket that is riveted to the frame. This I ground off with an angle grinder on my back for two hours enduring a shower of sparks in 90 degree heat. Oh what fun.

The bracket and the shackle for both sides cost me $92 from Ford.

My mechanic quoted $420 for the whole job, brackets and shackles both sides.

As far as flexing the spring, jack up the frame not the axle and the leaf spring will drop down.

$80 for the job sounds reasonable to me and it is a tough job. You should not reuse the bolts though.

Good luck.

Last edited by Bob Wheatley; 06-23-2006 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-25-2006 | 04:21 PM
shackel bolts

You shouldn't need air tools - i've change the hangers on 2 of my F150's without them. Have fun!

Old 06-26-2006 | 11:38 AM
I removed mine just today. I used a liberal application of heat from a propane torch and although still hard turning they came off. I have my bed off so that made it alot easier to get at the area.

Quick Reply: Leaf Spring Shackles