SAS kit for 2001 4x4 f150?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAS kit for 2001 4x4 f150?

Could some one please tell me what I am missing/not thinking of? Because looking around under the truck, it doesn't really seem like a crazy project to make shackle hangers and weld them to the frame for the front end, and then just swap to a solid axle on the front end?? What am I forgeting here?

I have a lot of experiance with jeeps and even more experiance with samurai rock buggys, but not as much in the full size truck arena. I would think a 6-10" suspension lift would be good?? Other then the lack of anti-lock and the change in ride quality, why can't this be done?

Even better, does anyone know of a "kit" form of the shackles for the front end? I know there are a few that make them for the Yota SAS setups, havent found anything for the f150's yet

Thanks in advance everyone!

Old 06-25-2006, 12:13 AM
Old 06-25-2006, 12:15 AM
Old 06-25-2006, 01:32 AM
one of these for a 2005 150??

Old 06-25-2006, 10:57 AM
I have seen the 4link setup, and read on this board about quality issue (expecially for THAT kind of a price ). Thats why I was looking for information specific for converting to a Leaf style setup, a little more simple and cheaper as well.

I saw some axle housing and parts on the bronco site, but didn't see anything about the shackle mounts on that second link you sent to me... Was that what you were trying to show me, or did I miss the shackle mount stuff???

Thanks again for the replys, I didn't find what I was looking for searching around the forum...

Old 06-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by jcayer
I have seen the 4link setup, and read on this board about quality issue (expecially for THAT kind of a price ). Thats why I was looking for information specific for converting to a Leaf style setup, a little more simple and cheaper as well.

I saw some axle housing and parts on the bronco site, but didn't see anything about the shackle mounts on that second link you sent to me... Was that what you were trying to show me, or did I miss the shackle mount stuff???

Thanks again for the replys, I didn't find what I was looking for searching around the forum...
if you are going to put that money into it, do more research and put something better than a d44 on there if you are wheeling it

Old 06-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by slimshady0479
if you are going to put that money into it, do more research and put something better than a d44 on there if you are wheeling it
A 44 or a 60 was my first ideas. I haven't really gotten into strenth of the axle yet, the portion I was more concerned about was the actual way to mount it to the vehicle.

Is there any reason why our frames can't be welded to? I guess i am still confused as to if/why I should not fab up shackle mounts to weld to the frame? I have my own tools to easily make the brackets (I have done this in the past, but it was for a trail only buggy, not a highway machine) Thats why I was hoping for some sort of a kit that could be installed similar to the toyota ones, except designed specifically for our trucks??

example of what I had in mind...
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/suspension/parts.htm

something like the spring hanger assembly on the front end.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by jcayer
A 44 or a 60 was my first ideas. I haven't really gotten into strenth of the axle yet, the portion I was more concerned about was the actual way to mount it to the vehicle.

Is there any reason why our frames can't be welded to? I guess i am still confused as to if/why I should not fab up shackle mounts to weld to the frame? I have my own tools to easily make the brackets (I have done this in the past, but it was for a trail only buggy, not a highway machine) Thats why I was hoping for some sort of a kit that could be installed similar to the toyota ones, except designed specifically for our trucks??

example of what I had in mind...
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/suspension/parts.htm

something like the spring hanger assembly on the front end.
i know a guy who did a SAS on an explorer. i dont know how similar the two are, but im sure the ifs cant be very different on either. if you can PM me a number, im sure he would be happy to talk to you about fabbing and putting it all together.

Old 06-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Is this more like,what you are looking for? http://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2/...ead.php?t=8030

Quick Reply: SAS kit for 2001 4x4 f150?