Installed Firestone Ride-Rite today on 06' 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006 | 11:59 PM
|
Installed Firestone Ride-Rite today on 06' 4X4

I just installed Firestone ride-rite airbags on my rear axle today (2006 King Ranch 4X4). I have the Autospring 2" installed and have to pull trailers occasionally for my job. From 18' lowboys with oilfield equipment to various sizes of travel trailers. I didn't want to have to drive from Lafayette Louisiana to Carlsbad New Mexico someday with my headlights in the trees (Ford does have the @$$ end of these trucks in the air for a reason). The kit went in pretty easy, my only gripe was the fact that the upper brackets on the frame rails have to be knocked towards the back of the truck about an inch with a hammer to line the bolt hole up. It wasn't a big deal but it looked at first like it didn't fit. The bags basically replace the factory bump stops and are held between a bracket on the frame and a bracket on the axle. The kit included a heat shield for the bag on the exhuast side of the truck and everything else you'll need. Pretty easy install and I'm tickled with the results. I am keeping the bags preloaded with 20lbs. of air which puts my rear 3/4" higher than the front which looks perfect to me. The ride feels great (I checked my tire pressure right after installing it and realized the dealer had 42 psi in the tires, which I lowered to 36, so that may be why I can't feel any difference with these bags in) I recommend also ordering a t-fitting for the air line so you can use one valve for both bags, I have no need for side to side leveling. If you have a front leveling kit and have to tow or haul I think this is the way to go. I make another post in a month or so and let everyone know how they are holding up.

Old 07-12-2006 | 08:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Sounds good! Im about to put on my 2" AS and 1.5" skyjacker AAL (hopefully this weekend), but i tow some rather heavy trailers at times and am definatly interested in how you like them, and how they preform. Where did you happen to find this kit at??

Old 07-14-2006 | 01:34 AM
|
Summit Racing

Summit had them at a pretty good price, they were $239 delivered. I dont notice them with 20 psi in them, they can be inflated up to 100 psi and will support either 4000 or 5000 pounds (I dont remember) either way it's WAY over the payload of the truck (mine is like 1760 pounds I think). I did some light offroading today, driving down a rutted and potholed oilfield road, and they did fine. If you use your truck for rock crawling where you'll stuff one tire into the fenderwell and have the other dangling in the air I don't think they will like it but I don't see anyone being very successfull crawling anything with an IFS front end like an F150 anyway.

Old 07-14-2006 | 12:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
you wouldnt happen to know the part number on that would you?? I found three different ones, the FIP 2071, 2320, and 2350? i think its the 2350 but im not so sure. .

Old 07-15-2006 | 11:13 AM
|
it's 2350.

Quick Reply: Installed Firestone Ride-Rite today on 06' 4X4