Shackles, Blocks, Body Lift, Suspension Lift, Springs, Spacers... Where Does It End??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006 | 01:47 AM
|
Shackles, Blocks, Body Lift, Suspension Lift, Springs, Spacers... Where Does It End??

Ok, Here's The Deal. I Have An '05 F150 Supercrew - 2wd. I Bought The 2" Leveling Kit From Ebay, And Am Just Not Satisfied. I Liked It At First, But I Want A Little More Without Spending A Lot Of Money. I Have Seen A New Springtech Kit On Ebay Recently. It Has A 2.75" Front Spacer, And 1.75" Rear Lift Shackle.

Translation (as Far As I Can Tell From My Limited Knowledge) = Adds .75" In Front And Rear?? That Doesn't Seem Like Much, But It's Pretty Cheap - About $160.00 Shipped, And I Think It Would Be Safe To Go With 18" Wheels, And 33" Tires At That Point.

Maybe If I Defined My Goal More Clearly, Someone Can Provide Me With Some Useful Info - I Want My Truck To Have The Look Of Maybe A Stock 4x4 With A Larger Wheel/tire Combo For A Cool Look Without Having To Worry About Rubbing, And Without Having To Spend A Ton Of Money. It Is After All A 2wd.

At What Point Do You Stop Spacing The Front, And Replace The Actual Spring? Would A Spring/block Combo Be Better/cheaper? Can You Put A Block On A 2wd In The Rear, And Does Anyone Even Make A Spring For The Front That Would Match Up With A Certain Size Block In The Rear To Make The Truck Look Level?

I Know The Same Things Get Discussed Over, And Over, And Over... Believe Me, I Have Spent Hours Reading Through Threads.

Your Help/comments/thoughts Are Appreciated.

Old 07-12-2006 | 03:45 PM
Im not sure whats all available for the 04+ models, but I know you can do spacers in the front and blocks in the back, and make it the same height as a 4x4. I know someone here replaced thier 2wd shocks and springs with ones off a 4x4, but Im not sure how well that went. Doing that would keep cost down, and put you right at the same height as a 4x4.

Have you considered a body lift? You can get them in 2 and 3 inch versions, are cheap, and you dont have to mess around with re-aligning the front end or anything like that. They are more of a PITA to put on than and suspension lifts, if you ask me.

Old 07-12-2006 | 03:56 PM
The kit you mentioned should lift the front 2.75 inches and the rear 1.75 inches. Most manufacturers seem to think 2 to 3 inches is the limit of lifting the front with spacers. As for the rear, you could just add a 2 inch lift block. Your truck only sits 2 inches lower than a stock 4x4. I'd go with one of the 2.5 inch leveling kits and a 1 or 2 inch lift block out back.

Old 07-12-2006 | 10:14 PM
|
Bartak1 And Wandell,

Thank You Both For Your Response.

Somewhere In Reading Through The Threads, Or Talking With Someone, I Heard That A 1.5" (not 1.75" As Per My Earlier Post) Rear Shackle Will Only Lift Half The Distance. Since I Have The 2" Leveling Kit Now(front Spacer), I Figured That The 2.75" Front Spacer And 1.5" Rear Shackle Would Sit About The Same As It Does Now, But .75" Higher In The Front And Rear. It Didn't Sound Like Much To Me, But Combined With Larger Tires, I Thought I May Be Happy.

Is My Math Right? Or Am I Just Way Off Base With The Whole Concept??

Old 07-13-2006 | 08:02 AM
Most spacers are advertised by their lift height, not their actual size. Most "2 inch" leveling kits are not quite 2 inches tall. You are probably thinking about the shackles. A shackle will lift the vehicle 1/2 of it's extended length. For instance, those 1.75 inch lift shackles would be 3.5 inches longer than the OEM shackles (which is why I recommended a lift block instead).

Old 07-14-2006 | 12:30 AM
|
Thanks Wandell.

So I Can Block The Rear To Get It Up Higher. I Have Found 2, 3, And 4" Block Kits For The 2wd For About $60. So, If The Front Sits About 2-2.5" Lower Stock, And I Raise The Rear 2", How Do I Get The Front Up 4" From Stock To Make It Look Level? I Haven't Seen Any Front Spacers That High, And From What I've Read It Doesn't Sound Like A Good Idea.

Also, Should I Have To Replace The Rear Shocks If I Use A Block??

Old 07-14-2006 | 08:05 AM
You have already pretty much reached the limit of inexpensively lifting the front end. You are at the point you need to decide if you want to install a 3 inch body lift or a full 6 inch suspension lift.

Old 07-14-2006 | 09:46 PM
|
After Much Pain And Personal Anguish, I Have Decided To Go With A 6" Suspension Lift. I Live In Houston, So If Anyone Knows Of A Good Place To Get The Work Done, Please Send Me A Message.

I Went To 4 Wheel Parts. They Were Having A "big Sale" Through Tommorow (of Course). I Was Quoted $3900 For Pro Comp 6" Lift, Moto Metal 17" Wheels With Pro Comp 35" Tires. All Installed, With All The Labor And Extra Bs They Pump You For. That Included The Tire Warranty Plan. I Usually Don't Go For Those Things, But This Is A Daily Driver, And I Put About 36,000 Miles A Year On My Truck.

Thoughts/suggestions Appreciated.

I Don't Know Why I Am Doing This... I Just Get An Idea In My Head And Can't Sleep Until It's Done. It Drives My Wife Crazy!!

Old 07-14-2006 | 10:15 PM
Do a search for a shop called "Truck Toyz". The owner is a member at FTW who goes by the name Overkill. I know his shop is in Texas, but I can't remember what city.

Old 07-16-2006 | 06:00 PM
|
Thanks Wandell. He's In Mcallen. I Was There All Last Week And Stayed At A Hotel A Few Blocks Away From His Shop. I Remember Driving By It, And Thinking It Was A Stereo Shop.

Small World!!

Hey Wandell, Did $3800 Seem Like A Fair Price From 4 Wheel Parts For All The Stuff From My Previous Post?

Jason

Old 07-16-2006 | 10:43 PM
|
One More Thing... Can Anybody Tell Me How Much Higher I Can Expect The Truck To Sit With The 6" Suspension Lift And 35" Tires. I'm Not 100% Sure I Want To Spend That Money And Then Have To Climb In And Out All Day Long.

I'm Thinking The Tires Will Sit About 2.5" Taller Than Mine Now, And Then The 6" Suspension Lift?? Is It A True 6" Or More Or Possibly Less??

Jason

Old 07-17-2006 | 07:54 AM
I'm not sure about the price. Most 6 inch lifts will lift the front about 6 inches and the rear about 4 inches.

Old 07-17-2006 | 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by ALEXANDER.JASON
After Much Pain And Personal Anguish, I Have Decided To Go With A 6" Suspension Lift. I Live In Houston, So If Anyone Knows Of A Good Place To Get The Work Done, Please Send Me A Message.

I Went To 4 Wheel Parts. They Were Having A "big Sale" Through Tommorow (of Course). I Was Quoted $3900 For Pro Comp 6" Lift, Moto Metal 17" Wheels With Pro Comp 35" Tires. All Installed, With All The Labor And Extra Bs They Pump You For. That Included The Tire Warranty Plan. I Usually Don't Go For Those Things, But This Is A Daily Driver, And I Put About 36,000 Miles A Year On My Truck.

Thoughts/suggestions Appreciated.

I Don't Know Why I Am Doing This... I Just Get An Idea In My Head And Can't Sleep Until It's Done. It Drives My Wife Crazy!!
haha u got the bug my friend thats y your doing it that sounds like a good price for all that installed.

Quick Reply: Shackles, Blocks, Body Lift, Suspension Lift, Springs, Spacers... Where Does It End??