Dropping a 2002 f150 xl

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dropping a 2002 f150 xl

Whats up fellas, I've got a 2002 F150 xl and I just put some Harley Davidson wheels on it and they look sic..but there is an awful lot of wheel well showing and everyone (myself included) thinks that the truck would look 10 times better if I could lower the rear end a couple of inches..I dont want a lowrider but I do want to lower the truck about 3-4 inches....what would be the most cost effective and easiest way to do this because I've heard tons of stories about this not being done right and causing other damage and I dont want to end up being another f150 urban legend......Thanks

Old 07-30-2006, 12:10 PM
the truck would look 10 times better if I could lower the rear end a couple of inches..I dont want a lowrider but I do want to lower the truck about 3-4 inches....
It makes a big difference which you want...

Lowering the rear end 2 inches of a 2002 F150 is pretty simple. Get some 2" lowering shackles, and slap them on. Bell Tech makes them, along with other companies. Go do a search on www.truckperformance.com, and see what you like. Lowering it more than 2" I'd look into this product from JLP.

http://www.johnnylightningperf.com/s...products_id=10

You will probably have to use shims on the rear also. In wanting to go beyond a shackle drop, you'll need to replace your hangers. This job is much more labor intensive. Ford riveted the hangers in, and it's a bear getting them off.

2" or 3" lowering springs for the front, along with a new camber kit and a fresh alignment and you're good to go.

If you simply go 2" all the way around, I've heard others say you can get away with using your stock shocks. I'd replace them with a performance drop shock, but I've read you can use stock.

I'm at a 3"/3" Bell Tech drop and you're welcome to check out my gallery to see if you like the look. I'm running the same size tire (275/45/20) that Harley F150's use, so the gaps will be the same.

Good luck, and get some photos up when you're done.

Last edited by toolmaann; 07-30-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:05 AM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Courtneyf150:
I also have heard factory shocks are okay up to 2" drop, but they probalby will wear out even faster. They are garbage, so spend the money to replace em while you have everything tore down.

Ive heard of a 3" shackle, but dont know who makes it. may be worth your time to research and find a 3" shackle that way you dont have to touch the hanger. If you do find a 3" shackle, pick up a set of Lightning front springs, that should lower you 1" and level the truck out.

Post up some pics of your truck too courtney so we can see those badass rims!

Toolmaann: What kit do you have? and what is your overall total wheel + tire diameter? b.c i have a 2/4 kit from Eibach and my front looks just like yours, but the rear sits a little higher on mine. so im trying to figure out if i have 3/4 or 2/3

thanks,
-Patrick

Old 08-18-2006, 03:20 AM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator

compared to

And

compared to

Old 08-26-2006, 07:55 AM
ive got 3" shackles from JLP (johnny lightning performance) and they are real nice but im going to go with a 4" shackle from jlp (i dont want to go with hangers and 2" shackles)

Old 08-28-2006, 11:08 PM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by tj03f150
ive got 3" shackles from JLP (johnny lightning performance) and they are real nice but im going to go with a 4" shackle from jlp (i dont want to go with hangers and 2" shackles)

did you loose alot of ride quality with shackles?

Im about to get another 1-2" out of my 2" shackle just curious how the ride is.

If the 2" is too much, ill take an inch out of my adjustable hanger...

And do you have any pics of your ride TJ?
-Patrick

Last edited by Patman; 08-28-2006 at 11:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Dropping a 2002 f150 xl