What Are The Cons of 2" AutoSpring

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006 | 01:35 AM
|
Exclamation What Are The Cons of 2" AutoSpring

I am brand new to all of this and thanks in advance for any help you may provide. I have a 4x2 2004 F150 SCrew and have been looking at buying a set of 2" AutoSpring spacers. I need to know if I should even be worried about premature UCA or upper ball joint wear out or failure. I also would like to hear from someone that has mucho miles with a set of these spacers installed. How many miles do you have? Needless worry of justified concern? Thanks so much!

Last edited by Drumdog; 08-07-2006 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-07-2006 | 01:49 AM
Welcome to the site! I have an 04 scb 4x2 with 2.5" AS. Many of my friends run the 2" AS on their FX4's but i believe the 2.5" sits as close as level as you can get on the 4x2. As far as any problems, I have not run into any... yet!(knock on wood!) But the leveling kit is a good, relatively inexpensive way to modify the look of your truck.

Old 08-08-2006 | 02:22 AM
|
Originally Posted by 04 F-150
Welcome to the site! I have an 04 scb 4x2 with 2.5" AS. Many of my friends run the 2" AS on their FX4's but i believe the 2.5" sits as close as level as you can get on the 4x2. As far as any problems, I have not run into any... yet!(knock on wood!) But the leveling kit is a good, relatively inexpensive way to modify the look of your truck.
Thanks for the reply!

How many miles do you have on your 2.5" AS, and how many miles total? Interested in knowing long term results.

Old 08-09-2006 | 10:44 AM
I have an 06 4X2 SCREW with a 2.5" AS leveling kit installed. The kit has been on the truck for about 6000 miles now and I have a tad over 11,000 total miles on the truck so far. No problems with it thus far, it sits almost perfectly level and makes the truck look so much better.

Old 08-09-2006 | 02:23 PM
I have the 2" AS. About 5000 miles and no problems. Looks Great

Old 08-09-2006 | 10:37 PM
Truck of the Month
2" AS here too along with a 1.5" skyjacker AAL. No wear issues with the AS spacer as of yet.

Old 08-10-2006 | 12:52 AM
I have had the 2.5" AS for about 13000 miles. The ride is a little harder than stock(maybe because of the angle, and the big @$$ bumper doesn't help either) but the truck looks alot better and definitely has more clearance. A few of the issues you will hear are premature wear of components example (ball-joints) and a clunking sound when the spindle/upper arm hit the coil spring on full extension while offroading. The new AS is supposed to have cleared the clunk issue(which was only cosmetic) but got enough people worried that some stoped buying the older units. They are liked due to the ease of installation because you don't have to compress the springs to put them on. Just bolt on-top. Also they are the most cost effective way to lift our trucks without dumping a few thousand on a lift. It also allows to run up to 35" tires on 4 wheel drive model trucks.(as several members have) If you install yourself you're looking at about 100 for the kit, your installation and 50-100 for a good alignment. so you could be out about 200 bucks total. Hope this helps you out.

Old 08-10-2006 | 08:53 AM
Had the AS 2.5" with 1.5" Skyjacker add a leafs on my 2005 Lariat for 5 months and about 5k with no problems. Ride and handling is the same as stock and definately looks better.

Old 08-10-2006 | 06:02 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Eats ball joints and clunk even with off set design. I wish I hadnt done it 1 ball joint at 7k with only 26k on truck and a ripped boot on another one. Also it isnt only the UCL its the lower ball joints getting ruined too I want to add a full lift but now I need all new UCA and LCA to do the lift.

Old 08-10-2006 | 06:19 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by extremeethan
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Eats ball joints and clunk even with off set design. I wish I hadnt done it 1 ball joint at 7k with only 26k on truck and a ripped boot on another one. Also it isnt only the UCL its the lower ball joints getting ruined too I want to add a full lift but now I need all new UCA and LCA to do the lift.
Extremeethan, you must be extremely rough on your truck to have that extreme of wear on the ball joints. I don't have extreme angles with my 2" AS. I don't offroad either so it has never clunked due to extreme suspension travel. Maybe yours is an extremely odd occurrence.

Old 08-10-2006 | 07:06 PM
extremely odd as it is that is my story with them. My lower ball joint boot rip might not be because of them but it isnt really a rip it looks like a pinch right at the edge of it where it might be pinched because of the angle or I could have hit somting but it looks like a pinched spot. Also your extreme use of extreme would almost be funny if it wasnt for the fact that he wanted opinions on spacer lifts and I gave him mine and thats all it is, is my opinion and you mocking me when you dont know me made you look like an ars

Old 08-10-2006 | 10:02 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by extremeethan
extremely odd as it is that is my story with them. My lower ball joint boot rip might not be because of them but it isnt really a rip it looks like a pinch right at the edge of it where it might be pinched because of the angle or I could have hit somting but it looks like a pinched spot. Also your extreme use of extreme would almost be funny if it wasnt for the fact that he wanted opinions on spacer lifts and I gave him mine and thats all it is, is my opinion and you mocking me when you dont know me made you look like an ars

Mocking, no. Overusing a word, maybe. Helpful info, yes.

I gave plenty of good information, so did you. I don't know you, and vice-versa. Sorry if you can't stomach a little ribbing. No harm no foul.

Old 08-12-2006 | 02:34 PM
extremee..what size spacer did you have on? 2 or 2.5? what year and style is your truck? you do alot of 4x4'ing? just curious on how your setup caused you so much grief. i just picked up my 06 screw fx4 and am looking at putting on the 2.5 as and sj 1.5 aal. planning on going to 33" bfg at/ko when the stock goodyears run low. I will be doing alot of off roading where there are some areas of major suspension travel...any info would help! thanks!

Old 08-15-2006 | 01:11 PM
sorry for not checking back sooner but I have the 2.5 inch and MT 33' as for offroading not a whole lot but when I do its hard. Also with my 2.5 inch my front is still a little down so I dont think you will need the AAL unless you like the back end up. Honestly I dont know what is causing all my problems. Witht the AS you have to take speedbumps slow as well as washes to avoid the clunking. Also my tuck is an 04 screw 5.5 bed 4x4

Old 08-15-2006 | 06:16 PM
Some more info on AS...

I have the 2 inch AS and have no issues at all... About a month ago I did read a post from a guy that talked to AS and they said the clunking is because a few fords were built with some different front end components from another manufacture. This was suppose to be very limited amount, but the different part / parts made just enough difference to cause clunking / rubbing "AS said it was not a issue as far as unnormal wear. I don't have time to search for the exact thread. I would recommend e-mailing or calling AS directly, I did and they took care of me. I have about 10k on my truckwith AS with no issues. When I first had them installed I had a clicking sound that later found out that it was not related... personally I would not go with the 2 1/2 unless you plan on going bigger than 33's. From reading other post on using spacers one thing is for sure every truck is effected differently in height....

Quick Reply: What Are The Cons of 2" AutoSpring