Power Steering Whine..normal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006 | 02:05 AM
|
Power Steering Whine..normal?

I have done a search and I found lots of info on similar problems. I have recently bought used a 97 4.6 with 122k and the PS pump whines when you turn the wheel (similar to when it is max pressure at either end of the directional lock). I guess the Ford PS pumps are noisy, but it is pretty darn loud. I also noticed the fluid is turbulent in the remote reservoir when the truck is idling. Is that normal? I might try to drain and refill with synthetic to see if that helps the noise.

Old 08-27-2006 | 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by mneal
I have done a search and I found lots of info on similar problems. I have recently bought used a 97 4.6 with 122k and the PS pump whines when you turn the wheel (similar to when it is max pressure at either end of the directional lock). I guess the Ford PS pumps are noisy, but it is pretty darn loud. I also noticed the fluid is turbulent in the remote reservoir when the truck is idling. Is that normal? I might try to drain and refill with synthetic to see if that helps the noise.
Yes, unfortunately every one I have had prior to my 04 were noisy to some degree. Especially on a turn to the locks. And yes the fluid should be turbulent in the reservoir.

Old 08-27-2006 | 09:54 AM
|
I will drain and refill it with synthetic, seems people have had some success with that. I also own 2000 Explorer, similar pump/reservoir and it is quiet, hence my concern...just lucky I guess.

Old 08-27-2006 | 12:46 PM
I'd start with a fluid change, but wouldn't be surprised if a new pump is in order, I find this common on newer 4.6 Explorers and replacing is the cure.

Old 08-27-2006 | 09:59 PM
fords are loud, but real lound isnt good, i know that from experince

Quick Reply: Power Steering Whine..normal?