DYI Body Lift - The Good...The Bad... and The Ugly

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DYI Body Lift - The Good...The Bad... and The Ugly

I just completed installing a body lift on my '04 Screw 4x4 this weekend. Here are some comments on the experience.

The Good....

1) The truck looks awesome. It gave me the height I was wanting and the 35" BFGs look great under it.
2) The PA instructions are very detailed and easy to follow. The kit is complete and mostly high quality.
3) I did it myself (minus 3-4 hours of my son helping lift bumpers and do some smaller tasks) with hand tools on the driveway. ** See disclaimer
4) It's done. Now on to new rims.

The Bad....

1) It's a lot of work, my hands are cut up, and I'm sore. I spent 18+ hours, mostly by myself, but it's doable.
2) Removing the C1D and C1P (see instructions) are a bear. Take the truck to a shop and pay the guy $10 to take them out with an air tool before you get started. You can safely drive home w/o those two bolts.
3) The truck wouldn't start afterwards because while the shifter said park, the linkage was in reverse. Had to rig that $^!#*@ to adjust it to be right.

The Ugly....

1) The fuel filler extension PA gives you in the kit is absolute garbage. In fact, it's a fire harzard (Util I figure out how to load them here, see pictures on my gallery 04 Blk 4x4 w/2" AS 35" BFGs). I can only imagine the fuel leaks while filling the tank. I went to AutoZone and bought a radiator hose for something and made that work (see pictures)
2) Removing the rear seat is a $!*^@%#$. Read the posts on this forum for some guidance and to eliminate that work on the weekend, do it some night before.

** I took the press fitted cab bushings (refer Pg.19) to a shop and had them put in a vise and beat them out with a sledge hammer. No way they were coming out otherwise.

I hope this experience helps someone else.

Last edited by jjenne; 01-17-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Here are some pics of the fuel line extension and the hose I used to replace the extension with a single fill line.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Here's a picture of the truck with the 3" body lift (still in progress).

Old 01-17-2007, 02:08 PM
looks like they dont pay the much attetion on filler necks think i may have to do the same to my truck when it comes time to install mine nice title it caught my eye!!

Old 01-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Looks good so far

Old 01-17-2007, 02:16 PM
looks good. Mine is going back in to raise the rear bumper.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good!

Old 01-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I've added a couple more pictures for those who are considering a body lift. I opted not to drop the hitch, instead I'm getting custom backets made to mount the hitch to the frame.

Complete view

Front Frame plugs

Hitch raised with bumper using custom brackets.

Old 01-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by jjenne
Thanks for the compliments. I've added a couple more pictures for those who are considering a body lift. I opted not to drop the hitch, instead I'm getting custom backets made to mount the hitch to the frame.

Complete view

Front Frame plugs

Hitch raised with bumper using custom brackets.

looks great man, good work. mine is going in this wednesday to get the body lift put on...would you suggest taking my amplifier off the back firewall before i take it in, or are is it not in the way? its is no where close to the body mounts on the left and right sides. also, on that filler neck, do you have the width of hose you used to make it fit better? iam pondering that, because i may have some laying around, and does it have to have that curve to it?

Old 01-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks. As long as the carpet can be pulled back to get to the bolts you should be fine. The replacment hose for the gas fill was 1 3/8" ID and 1 3/4" OD. I don't know what PA was thinking with the stub hose, total crap.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:26 PM
... Now on to new rims...
I like the stock ones, actually. They're the best OE rims ever made and look good with a bigger tire.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks. As long as the carpet can be pulled back to get to the bolts you should be fine. The replacment hose for the gas fill was 1 3/8" ID and 1 3/4" OD. I don't know what PA was thinking with the stub hose, total crap.
just to make sure... "id" and "od" means??? sorry for the newb question

Old 01-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Sorry, inside diameter and outside diameter. Anything much smaller or large will either not fit over the tank fitting or may be prone to leaks. If you have an Autozone around, the hose I have listed was only $10. Definately worth it.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:09 PM
I agree JG09. The stock rims do look pretty sharp. However the 12.50x35 tires are pinch in a little, I may have some uneven wear over 30K miles. I just can't find a rim I like with good backspacing specs. Still shopping.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Sorry, inside diameter and outside diameter. Anything much smaller or large will either not fit over the tank fitting or may be prone to leaks. If you have an Autozone around, the hose I have listed was only $10. Definately worth it.
how long does it need to be, same length as the one PA supplies? also does it need the curve in it?

Quick Reply: DYI Body Lift - The Good...The Bad... and The Ugly