Leaf spring question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007 | 02:48 PM
|
Leaf spring question

I am thinking about adding a leaf to the rear of my 97 4x4, does it matter if I put a shorter leaf in or longer leaf in? If so whats the difference between the two? Ride and Weight hauling wise. And also is there a much of a difference in the height between the two? Thanks for the help.

Old 02-25-2007 | 03:03 PM
There's multiple factors on an add a leaf. First one is pretty simple, the longer the leaf the better the ride because it will allow for more flex. Ride height and stiffness will vary depending on the arch of the 2 different leaves and the gauge used. Only disadvantage to a longer leaf is you have to replace the clips or reuse the factory ones which takes a bit longer but is defenitely worth it. Problem is some people go with lift kit company add a leaf where they should be going to a spring shop because they can be exact with the height you're trying to achieve because they can add a leaf and arch your existing springs if needed. Any spring shop will be (at least should be) much more knowledgeable about add a leafs then companies like skyjacker, pro comp, fabtech, etc.

Quick Reply: Leaf spring question