Rize noise??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rize noise??

i just installed my 8" rize over the weekend on my 07 fx4 and noticed a noise that seems to be comming from the front end somewhere. it only happens at around 40 or so and only when im on the gas...like if its making the noise it stops as soon as i let off and will start a few seconds after im back on it. it almost sounds like a slight rattle or like some plastic parts grinding. i have been through and made sure everything is tight about 4 times. the place that mounted my tires and lined it up said something about the noise too and just said to check my hubs and that they have heard alot about the new 150's making a noise. does anyone else have this strange niose and what did you do to fix it? it doesnt seem to have any effect on the drivability of the truck but i dont wanna keep driving it and take the risk of messing somthing up.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Somewhat Easy Fix....

We have run into that problem as well with a few of our F150's we have lifted. Only about 1 out of every 20 or so are effected. If this is what I am thinking it is (the description sounded like what I have heard) You need to take your front driveshaft and have it put into phase. If you would like to talk to our lift tech, please give him a call. His name is Dave Bradley and he can be reached at our dealership at 269-965-7771 8:00-5:00 Eastern time.

This has always fixed the issue, Ford should have done this from the start but they also did not design this truck with lift kits in mind! But we buy them with lift kits in mind (Don't we?).

This should fix it and it should cost around $250 from any competent driveshaft shop. Pro-Comp even sells one but you should have it done to save $$$

Hope this helps!

Joe

Old 03-12-2007, 05:29 PM
by the way.....

You can quickly remove the front driveshaft and drive it, This will tell you if it's the culprit

Old 03-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by LESSTANFORDFORD
We have run into that problem as well with a few of our F150's we have lifted. Only about 1 out of every 20 or so are effected. If this is what I am thinking it is (the description sounded like what I have heard) You need to take your front driveshaft and have it put into phase. If you would like to talk to our lift tech, please give him a call. His name is Dave Bradley and he can be reached at our dealership at 269-965-7771 8:00-5:00 Eastern time.

This has always fixed the issue, Ford should have done this from the start but they also did not design this truck with lift kits in mind! But we buy them with lift kits in mind (Don't we?).

This should fix it and it should cost around $250 from any competent driveshaft shop. Pro-Comp even sells one but you should have it done to save $$$

Hope this helps!

Joe
correct me if im wrong but i thought that the front drivshaft didnt spin on these trucks unless 4x4 was engaged

Old 03-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Actually......

Well, I thought so also but..... My tech told me it did! All be darned, he was right. Like I previously said, A simple removal of the shaft to see if that remedies the problem will be needed.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by LESSTANFORDFORD
Well, I thought so also but..... My tech told me it did! All be darned, he was right. Like I previously said, A simple removal of the shaft to see if that remedies the problem will be needed.
ha well learn somthing new everyday lol its funny cause my ranger was like this the front drive shaft spun all the time and when i got my 150 i was told that it didnt lol

Old 03-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by 06FX4
correct me if im wrong but i thought that the front drivshaft didnt spin on these trucks unless 4x4 was engaged
u are correct it does not spin unless 4x4 is engaged

Old 03-13-2007, 12:54 PM
The drive shaft will spin some, but it is not engaged. If you were able to get under the truck and put your hand on it while it was moving it would stop, but as soon as you take your had off, it will slowly start turning again.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:05 PM
well i have read in some other post stock trucks having this same noise, and they all said its a vacum leak in the 4 wheel drive. i took my truck to the dealership where i bought it and they wont touch it cause its now lifted so i took it to another and they couldnt get it to make the noise. so tomorrow its gonna get droped off at a 4x4 shop and see what they can do. also the noise wont happen at 40 anymore. its now around 55-60 up a slight grade when the engine is under load right before it shifts out of overdrive it will make it. im sure thats not a good thing that it went from doin it under very light load at 40 to now a heavy load at 55 or so...prolly means there isnt much to grind on anymore lol...but i will post up what the 4x4 shop says it is if they can even fix it. also if any 07 owners have a edge dont take your truck for the emission recall if you still want your edge to work. i waited forever for the buggy release 22 so i could use my edge for more than fancy gauges then i took it and got the recall taken care of now it wont work ...just a heads up

Old 03-14-2007, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your front driveshaft should not spin. If it does, you have a vacuum problem (might be a leak, disconnected hose, or defective IWE Solenoid), a blown IWE Solenoid Fuse (I think #11) or your tcase will not disengage the front driveshaft. It is more than likely the first two. I have had all these problems, except the last, fixed'em all so let me know if you need any help.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Yeah I thought that the driveshaft only spun if the 4x4 was engaged, but I guess that we all learn something new everyday. I have heard of that happening but I never knew what to do about it. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by huntrboy475
Yeah I thought that the driveshaft only spun if the 4x4 was engaged, but I guess that we all learn something new everyday. I have heard of that happening but I never knew what to do about it. Thanks for the info.
no we learned nothing new. your driveshaft should not spin unless 4x4 is engaged if it does something is wrong.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:22 PM
In Any Case.....

They do spin, FREELY.... Anyway, If you take it out and the noise goes away, That is the problem. If you take it out and it doesn't help, That's not the problem. We have lifted so many trucks, His explanation sounded like what we have run into before. I have never ran into a vacuum leak yet (not to say it won't happen) But either way, The driveshaft should be "phased"

Old 03-15-2007, 10:56 PM
well i got it back and it was a vac. leak. i dont know if somthing came loose when i was putting the lift on or what but its fixed now so im happy. what does gettin the drive shaft phased mean? rize tells you in thier instructions that the front shaft need modification for speeds over 40 in 4wheel drive. is what they reccomend the same as gettin it phased?

Old 03-16-2007, 11:43 PM
just to reiterate the front driveshaft does not turn when it is not in 4x4. to prove this i put a little line on it today and drove it all day geus what, it never moved this is the reason u only need to reclock the front drive driveshaft if u drive in 4x4 at speeds excess of 45mph. i have also never done anything to my front driveshaft and have no vibrations or noise when driving in 4x4. but oonce more it does not turn while u are driving in 2wd

Last edited by allrsdup; 03-16-2007 at 11:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Rize noise??