Just shoot me - installing DS 2.5

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007 | 08:38 PM
|
Just shoot me - installing DS 2.5

RE: a daystar 2.5" levelling kit

This installation question has probably been done to death, but what have a few of you on this forum done about a spring compressor to install a Daystar or similar front end kit? Is it possible to rent one, or i am i better off taking the truck to a shop and getting f---ed in the a-- ?
Local shop wants $300 for labor for this

Old 03-09-2007 | 10:38 PM
You need a really heavy duty compressor. You could remove the coilover shock, take it to a shop and have the spring removed and the spacer installed and then reinstall it yourself. This is why the Autospring kits (and copies) are so popular. You just bolt it on top of your coilover shocks and you don't worry about removing coilsprings.

Old 03-09-2007 | 11:46 PM
|
Thanks for the info man ---- i am buying an AS kit now i guess --- (anyone wanna buy a DS kit cheap? ) -- just kidding - not a solicitation

Old 03-10-2007 | 12:12 AM
Suspended
Why don't you just rent a spring compressor!? Most auto stores will rent you one and all you have to do is put down a deposit which you'll get back once you return it. . It's not that hard to do. I bought a set of cheesy spring compressors that were $15 from Autozone and did mine. . they bent but it worked.

At worst, you could take your coilovers off and have a shop install the spacer on the coilover and all you have to do is bolt up the new one. Sure beats trying to sell your kit, buy the Autospring, and than install it.

Old 03-10-2007 | 12:19 AM
|
Hey Thumpman, thx for the advice --- i'll dive into it then -- my '05 is my daily driver and i just get a tad paranoid doing anything that might take it out of commision for more than a couple of days. I'm gonna spin up the impact and air ratchets in a day or two

Oh well, there are worse thingss in life than having to take your motorcycle or older truck to the store for beer. (man - i live in the middle of Oklahoma on a large acreage ------ i have a '75 Chevy that is designated as my "get the mail" truck)

Old 03-10-2007 | 04:34 AM
take out the coilover bring it to a shop and have them put the coil spacer in shouldnt cost mor than $80.

Old 03-10-2007 | 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Why don't you just rent a spring compressor!? Most auto stores will rent you one and all you have to do is put down a deposit which you'll get back once you return it. . It's not that hard to do. I bought a set of cheesy spring compressors that were $15 from Autozone and did mine. . they bent but it worked.
I agree, when I installed my lift, I just rented a spring compressor kit from Autozone and it worked fine. There were two different types of compressors though, make sure you get the strut spring compressors.

Old 03-10-2007 | 09:23 AM
i was only charged $100 for the install. try checking around

Old 03-10-2007 | 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Copenhagen848
I agree, when I installed my lift, I just rented a spring compressor kit from Autozone and it worked fine. There were two different types of compressors though, make sure you get the strut spring compressors.
yeah i had to rent a strut compessor a few months ago....it was at o'reily autoparts....its was like $75 down but you get the money back when you bring back the compessor

it was probably funny trying to watch me crank those bolts on the compessor...it took a lot of torque and i thought that the compessor was gonna fail before it was over...those 4x4 springs are the real deal

Old 03-10-2007 | 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by johnmcl1381
it was probably funny trying to watch me crank those bolts on the compessor...it took a lot of torque and i thought that the compessor was gonna fail before it was over...those 4x4 springs are the real deal
No kidding, the compressors (one on each side of the spring) I was using were bending from the torque. Could've been ugly if one broke!

Quick Reply: Just shoot me - installing DS 2.5