6" SkyJacker lift finished

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007 | 09:25 AM
|
6" SkyJacker lift finished

I'll take some pictures tonight, but I got it done. Fresh off the jack stands she rakes about 1/2" in 4' along the bed rail - just enough to be noticable. I expect the rear spring to settle very slightly. Front measured exactly 6" of lift.

For the 37s on 9" wheels, I did some minor air dam trimming - I need to twist it and see if it is going to hit anywhere else.

Personally I think the driver's leaf was the biggest pain - moving the gas tank SUCKS!

Getting it aligned today, so I'll add about ride and handling once I add a few miles - first impression of ride is that I like it better than the 3", which I liked better than stock.

Old 03-15-2007 | 10:34 AM
yes be sure to post up some pics i'm very interested in your findings

Old 03-15-2007 | 10:40 AM
We just cut the bolts out and replace them with new ones...much easier than moving the gas tank.

Old 03-15-2007 | 11:04 AM
|
I thought about that... then thought gee, maybe it won't be so bad... damn, I was seriously mistaken - what a pain! I definitely like the new spring packs rather than blocks - I have never been a fan of blocks, but as per the instructions, I left the factory block in place.

Old 03-15-2007 | 11:38 AM
You say you don't like blocks but you still have blocks in there. See if you can return the skyjackers and put BDS springs on there because they're a true 5.5 and will eliminate the blocks completely. Seems like a waste of money to buy springs when they don't do what them want you to do. Especially skyjackers because they're so pricey.

Old 03-15-2007 | 12:14 PM
I can't wait to see some pics.

Old 03-15-2007 | 03:27 PM
|
Just got back from the alignment shop... OK, took a 60 mile detour...

Ride is slightly stiffer than the 3" - and exactly the way I like it!I had guessed the camber setting on the money - I did nothing with the toe and it was miles off.

Kansasjoe, Let me rephrase - I don't like big blocks. Reusing the factory ones is OK, after all it's the way things were designed to work.

I'll get pics up tomorrow!

Old 03-16-2007 | 01:42 PM
|
Here's the gallery link.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?num=13400

I'll have the tire and light bar off for the ride to SEMA Spring - probably up the mileage by 1.5, back to where it was. Also, in the picture it looks to be slightly lower in the back - I'll get it on level ground over the weekend and check it out and let you know.

Even with the prerunner fenders, the 37's (on 9" wheels) are pretty tight, I trimmed the edge of the air dam and the 'glass where it tucks under at the back of the wheel. Haven't had a chance to cycle the suspension, but I think there's going to be some contact.

Drove about a 100 miles this morning - LOVE the ride, tight but not choppy.

Let me know what you guys think!

Old 03-16-2007 | 01:46 PM
Looks good, love the graphics on it. Why no front fender flares?

Old 03-16-2007 | 02:41 PM
|
Thanks on the graphics, the gal that does them is fantastic!

I'll have to get a better picture of the front fenders, they are prerunners so they have about 5" of extra coverage and are open about 4" taller than stock fenders. I'm not sure if I like the Bushwackers on back with the prerunners up front, so next go round I plan on some prerunner rears too.

Old 03-16-2007 | 03:12 PM
Sweet!

Old 03-16-2007 | 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by KansasJoe
We just cut the bolts out and replace them with new ones...much easier than moving the gas tank.
That is the route i'm going with too but would you happen to know the size/type of bolt and what thread pitch it is also what grade i would like to get some before the lift goes on. Also do think i should go a head and replace my ball joints why i have everything apart my truck is about 2yrs old with around 20,000 miles. I just figured go a head and put some in there since the others have to be reinstalled anyway

Old 03-16-2007 | 09:17 PM
[QUOTE=NWAF-150]That is the route i'm going with too but would you happen to know the size/type of bolt and what thread pitch it is also what grade i would like to get some before the lift goes on. Also do think i should go a head and replace my ball joints why i have everything apart my truck is about 2yrs old with around 20,000 miles. I just figured go a head and put some in there since the others have to be reinstalled anyway[/QUOTE

You're obviously going with new springs but don't know if you're going with skyjacker's or bds. The bds kit comes with the new bolts and I'm not sure if skyjacker stuck with the same bolt size or if they changed it. I ordered about 100 of them about 3 months ago and can't remember their exact size but I know it's around a 11/16 - 3/4 in standard size. I'll figure it out tomorrow when I go into work. Not sure about your ball joints but I'd say with only 20k on them you may as well leave them alone because they'll be warrantied up to 36k anyways.

Old 03-16-2007 | 10:30 PM
That is 6" of lift with 37" tires? Sweet.

Old 03-19-2007 | 01:36 PM
|
Originally Posted by kingofkings
That is 6" of lift with 37" tires? Sweet.
It certainly is! I had to trim the lower valance slightly (0 on top to about 1/2" at bottom) and flatten the body seam in the back of the wheel well - a deadblow and a few well placed smacks solved that one!

I still haven't found any time to articulate it, so I don't know about any other clearance issues (yet). After about 600 miles the rear seems to have sagged some - I'll try to measure tonight and post the results next time I get to a computer. Probably should have just follow Kansasjoe's advice and put the AAL into the pack right away.

Quick Reply: 6" SkyJacker lift finished