ready lift aka torsion bars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007 | 03:15 PM
|
ready lift aka torsion bars?

I just went to a truck shop up the road which i didnt really know existed, and asked them if they could lift my truck by just cranking the torsion bars they way alot of members here have. I also want to lift the back of the truck with a long leaf spring so thats my biggest reason for going to a shop. Second reason is i have no tools to do the job.

So i go there and ask them if they can do the job, they say no because lifting the truck with the factory bars makes the alignment bad all the time, eating up tires and would require an alignment every month. The guy then says he can put on a "Ready lift" which is 225 plus 65 dollars for install plus whatever it would pay for an alignment. Thats not even with lifting the back for me. I looked at a ready lift, and all it looks like are the aftermarket torsion keys!! So, is he just trying to make easy money off me?? I mean guys all over this board do the lift and dont have any problems, right?

thanks for any input on this situation.

John

Old 03-22-2007 | 03:22 PM
|
Adding to the post i just made,

I called another shop just now and they said you cant even get more than an inch out of cranking the torsion bars. They said it also puts everything out of wack and that they wouldnt ever consider doing a job like that. I asked him if there were any other options to get two inches into the front of the truck and he said absoultely not.

so i'm kinda confused as to why all the shops here are saying they wont do it. If truck shops wont do it, theres no way any normal place like firestone or pepboys would do it. I'm super bummed now that i've gotten 2 no's. Thanks again for any help guys!

Old 03-22-2007 | 03:45 PM
i dont know why they are saying that because i cranked my torsion on my f150 and i got about 1 and half inches...and i got my truck aligned at the same time and that was a year ago and my truck runs fine with nothing wrong...alot of people on here have done it...you can even do it urself and then bring it to get aligned somewhere...hope that helps you out...

Old 03-22-2007 | 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Matt****son
i dont know why they are saying that because i cranked my torsion on my f150 and i got about 1 and half inches...and i got my truck aligned at the same time and that was a year ago and my truck runs fine with nothing wrong...alot of people on here have done it...you can even do it urself and then bring it to get aligned somewhere...hope that helps you out...
Correct,buy a socket set and DIY then take it for an allignment.I would like to know why they think you would need an alignment every month.Tryin to take advantage of you.I would not go back there

Old 03-22-2007 | 06:59 PM
Talking

I just had a shop crank mine up got about 1 1/2 inches out of it and they also did the alignment cost 75 bucks and i works fine. They told me that they got the alignment to specks to no problems.

Old 03-22-2007 | 07:18 PM
Sounds to me like that first shop is trying to take you for a ride. They're full of $%@# because I got an inch and a half out of my bars, got my front end aligned and I haven't had any problems. Type in "Torsion Bars" in the Search bar on this site and you'll find some step by step procedures on how to do it correctly. Good luck and its good to hear you didn't take the shop's advice with out checking to see what other members have done first...

Old 03-22-2007 | 07:58 PM
|
hey guys,

well i did the search for torsion bars and did more reading and i think i will try to do it myself. It seems simple enough as long as i get help putting my truck up in the air. I knew other people had done it themselves so i wasnt gonna pay to have aftermarket torsion bars put on. I'm dissapointed in the second shop i called, they are the best around here for lifts, and they seemed pissed that i even called. As long as you guys say its as simple as it looks, i'll give it a try. I will still probably see if i can get an add-a-leaf put in the back after i do the front, i like when the back is slightly higher than the front.
I'm just still so surprised that the shops around here are so agains the torison bar lifting. weird.

but anyways, thanks for your help guys! its greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: ready lift aka torsion bars?