frontend wobble

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007 | 08:59 PM
|
Cool frontend wobble

I have a 90 f150 4x4 with 4inch lift on itand when im driving at any speed and i hit uneven road or a bump even if small the front wheels feel like they keep hopping. it like shakes the whole front end. it doesnt throw the truck in either direction and it doesnt feel like im gonna loose control but it feels like front shocks are bad. but i have changed both lower & upper ball joints both outer all withing say 5000 miles. the tires are also fairly new . this has been happening for a while now and after i changed each of these things it would seem just a little better for like a week and then it went right back to how it was. it just makes me mad everytime i drive it cause it rides like a p.o.s.you kinda feel it in the steering wheel but it doesnt jerk it or anything. it feels like the wheels just keep bouncing up and down to long. please help
thanks
gary

Old 03-28-2007 | 09:01 PM
|
i also replaced both rotors and all frony end parts still doesn't help

Old 03-28-2007 | 10:34 PM
What wheels/tires are you running? This could be the cause, I can not keep mine balanced... For some reason I believe my are out of round.

Old 03-31-2007 | 09:19 PM
|
Talking

i checked the torque on the spindle nuts and they were off so i tightened them to specs and .... so far it 's working !

Old 04-02-2007 | 08:59 PM
I know what that is

If you have new shocks it's probably play in worn out tie rod ends that's letting your front end wobble. You can jerk the steering back and forth real quick to make the wobble go away in the immediate but you likely don't have long til the tie rod pops out of it's socket and leaves you on the side of the road looking for a piece of wire to tie the mess together to get you home. They're $25 or $35 each. Just jack up truck and see what wiggles when you shake the wheel.

Old 04-02-2007 | 10:20 PM
|
all the front end parts are new (less than 3 monts old)
except for the shocks they are a couple yeare old not many miles maybe 20,k on them (the shocks)

Old 04-03-2007 | 08:17 AM
I just replaced the tie rod on my 03 expy. the front would make a clunk-clunk sound sometimes when turning left, or, when going over uneven ground. While rotating the tires I grabbed the rotor and could easily wiggle it by push-pull with my hands at 3 and 9 o'clock. The tie rod was shot and allowed my tire to wander or wobble inboard and outboard by an inch or so, not to mention the sound.

Replaced the tie rod end (outer tie rod), adjusted the alingment and away I went. steering is back to being nice and tight again.

Double check the tie rods.

PS - my tie rod failed due to the rubber boot (non-maintenance, no grease fitting) wire clamp coming loose, allowing the rubber boot to slide down and that , I guess, allowed contaminants to get into the tie rod joint and rust it out.

Not sure if the pickups have that or not, but if so, check both of them.

Quick Reply: frontend wobble