Control Arms?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007 | 01:31 AM
|
Control Arms?

Alright suspension guru's, I ordered some fiberglass fenders for my truck about a month ago but I havent put them on yet because I think it might look funny with the narrow wheel base. What all do I need to widen the front wheel base? Where can I get a good deal on control arms and what else would I need in order to do it? The fenders that I bought have a 6" flare on them so I need something that can bring my wheels out that far.

Old 04-09-2007 | 02:30 AM
Global Moderator &
solid front axle?

Old 04-09-2007 | 02:36 AM
|
I dont know a whole lot, but Im learning. I understand to make a prerunner I need to replace the control arms with bigger ones to widen the stance. I just dont know what else I need. I am here in Miami only for a year then Im moving back to so cal and I want my truck to be ready to go play a little at glamis. Nothing super crazy, just nice.

Old 04-09-2007 | 11:26 AM
2 or 4 wheel?

Old 04-09-2007 | 12:26 PM
|
2wd

Old 04-09-2007 | 04:31 PM
You can widen the wheel base with the right choice of wheels and tires. I have 13.5" wide tires on 9" wheels and they line up real nice with the 6" glass fenders. Check my gallery. Tires are 37s - I have to "fix" the body seam at the cab end of the wheel well to avoid rubbing. Tried to flatten with a mallet, but I ain't that young anymore! Used the plasma to remove the excess metal and it works out great.

Most of the wider control arms are in lift kits. And then the back tires are still narrow as opposed to wheels which leave everything looking even!

Old 04-10-2007 | 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by Bryndon
You can widen the wheel base with the right choice of wheels and tires. I have 13.5" wide tires on 9" wheels and they line up real nice with the 6" glass fenders. Check my gallery. Tires are 37s - I have to "fix" the body seam at the cab end of the wheel well to avoid rubbing. Tried to flatten with a mallet, but I ain't that young anymore! Used the plasma to remove the excess metal and it works out great.

Most of the wider control arms are in lift kits. And then the back tires are still narrow as opposed to wheels which leave everything looking even!
but its so hard to find wheels you want that have the right amount of backspacing.

Old 04-10-2007 | 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Klitch
but its so hard to find wheels you want that have the right amount of backspacing.
Unfortunately, that is one of the keys to adding aftermarket wheels.

Old 04-10-2007 | 01:55 PM
this is what you should do to companys check out the links

http://ncdcustoms.com/html/ford.html

http://jdfabrication.com/kits/2004_f150_4x2.asp

Old 04-16-2007 | 01:15 AM
Camburg Engineering

Originally Posted by Mr Funktastic
I dont know a whole lot, but Im learning. I understand to make a prerunner I need to replace the control arms with bigger ones to widen the stance. I just dont know what else I need. I am here in Miami only for a year then Im moving back to so cal and I want my truck to be ready to go play a little at glamis. Nothing super crazy, just nice.

Contact Camburg Engineering in Huntington Beach. They make a Performance kit for your truck that will widen the stance just enough to clear 6" fenders. The kit runs $2000 plus shipping. Contact Drew at Camburg (714) 848-8880.
Also, their website shows pics of the truck, www.camburg.com

Good Luckk

-J

Quick Reply: Control Arms?