05 fx4 Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007 | 04:43 PM
|
05 fx4 Ball Joints

Pretty sure I know but where are the upper and lower ball joints located AND how can you tell if they are going bad AND how much and how hard are they to replace if needed...any other info would be great..Thanks a lot
Oh yeah are the 2.5 AS kits dangerous or terribly hard on ball joints?

Old 04-11-2007 | 06:16 PM
If you don't know where the balljoints are, you shouldn't even ask how hard they are to change. The balljoints are in the same spot they are on in every other truck...one on top of the steering knuckle and on on the bottom of it...they connect to the control arms.

Old 04-11-2007 | 06:53 PM
|
OK I know what the ball joints are, I took out my own struts and added my 2.5 AS myself with no problem...is changing them a tough job? and how do I know they are in rough shape?? Thanks

Old 04-11-2007 | 07:55 PM
Jack the vehicle up and wiggle the tire at 12 and 6...then again at 3 and 9...feel for play...if there's play, look under to see where the play is coming from. You also have to use a big pry-bar and put it under the tire and pry up to see if you get play that way...that method is commonly over-looked but necessary on state inspections.

As far as being hard...there's nothing to it. Remove the caliper and bracket, remove the rotor, remove the spring (be it a coil or a torsion bar, or a leaf spring), remove the front axle nut from the knuckle, remove the tie-rod from the knuckle, and then pop the knuckle from the ball joints ... usually at that point, it's hammer time. I haven't looked under my F150 so I don't know exactly how the suspension is set up, but on some vehicles the uppers are only replaceable by doing the whole upper control arm. I'm sure someone with some experience knows for sure.

Quick Reply: 05 fx4 Ball Joints