When removing blocks from rear of 4x4, should you also switch to 2wd shocks??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When removing blocks from rear of 4x4, should you also switch to 2wd shocks??

I am going to remove the 2" spacer blocks from the rear of my FX4, to help level it. I am staying with stock 20" wheels and factory tire size, so I don't want to lift the front to level it (I think it makes the tires look too small with factory size on it).

My concern is, when I remove the blocks, I am essentially pre-loading the shocks by about 2" which may make the rear ride rough. I use the truck for sales purposes and I need to keep the smooth ride it already has.

I have been offered a set of 2wd shocks and u-bolts, but are the 2wd shocks as heavy duty as my factory FX4 4wd shocks, just 2" shorter? I have been told they are, but just wanted to confirm with a few people, as making suspension changes makes me nervous...Thanks in advance.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Unhappy

Why are you changing the look. That is part of the FX4 package I don't know if you bought that truck new or not. You should have looked for a plain 4x4 the blocks are there for load and weight tranfer.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by matthewmerchant
Why are you changing the look. That is part of the FX4 package I don't know if you bought that truck new or not. You should have looked for a plain 4x4 the blocks are there for load and weight tranfer.
I highly doubt they alter load or weight transfer any significant amount, the blocks only raise the back 2" nothing more. In fact, the factory blocks have horns cast into them to limit suspension travel by 2", by removing the blocks you will still have the same amount of travel, it will just sit 2" lower.

Look in my gallery for before and after pics when I removed my blocks. Also all 4x4's have the blocks, not just FX4's

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 04-12-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:21 PM
First, shocks alone do not preload anything worth speaking about, the 2" difference won't change the ride, but could allow the shocks to bottom out - the shock is attached to the axle, so the travel distance is the same, just the start and stop points have change.

The 2wd shocks (if all else is the same - valving and style of shock) will be the right length for full compression and extension. The 4wd shocks will be 2" to long for compression and have 2" wasted extension travel.

So the short answer is yes, use 2wd shocks.

And Red is right, the only real effect of blocks is raised height - and in this case, control upward suspension travel, probably to avoid bottoming the shocks.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by matthewmerchant
Matthew (Great name by the way-it's also my oldest son's name!). I bought the FX4 used but wanted an FX4 because it has a different grille, fender flares, painted bumpers, center console with shifter and the more aggressive looking gauge package. It is just a sporty looking truck. Lariat is similar but I'm not into leather on my truck.

The truck will rarely ever see off road duty, we go places with our dirtbikes and 4 wheelers but nothing too severe. I use the truck as a personal vehicle and also a sales vehicle to pickup samples and deliver product. I live in NE Ohio which has bad weather so that's what I mainly use the 4wd for.

Because I take customers in it regularly (sometimes women), I don't want it to be too tall to get into. It has to maintain a bit of a business look and can't have an overly aggressive "Off road" appearance. I like when they sit flat from front to back. So, I'm going to put factory 20's on it, which look very small when you lift the front 2" to level it out. When you lower the back, it looks like a Sport Truck (see the picture from 05redfx4-nice truck by the way!).

Sorry about the long story but I hope that clears up my intentions....

Quick Reply: When removing blocks from rear of 4x4, should you also switch to 2wd shocks??