idle control arm

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
idle control arm

Well, I took my truck in to get the exhaust manifold fixed and they mentioned that the right front tire had about 1" of play in it and said I needed to replace the idle control arms(?). What is the purpose of it and how important is it that I get it replaced? Is it something I could replace myself or should I have them do it? Any idea on how much that should cost? Thanks

Old 04-12-2007, 06:47 PM
The idler arm is not that hard to change yourself it should have a couple of bolts holding it to the frame & a nut with cotter pin to the draglink bar.You shoul be able to do this in less then 1 hr

Old 04-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But, the idler arm should be affecting both tires since it is part of the steering. Are you sure they didn't mention a ball joint or tie rod end also? All of these are high wear items on the 97-03 trucks.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:56 PM
they didn't mention anything ball joint or tie rods. It could very well be affecting both tires. I am guessing they only mentioned the right one because they had to take it off to get to the passenger side manifold.

Anybody have a picture of what one looks like? I have a haynes manual so I might look in there and see if I can handle doing it myself. Sounds like its not too difficult. Would i have to order one from Ford, about how much are they?

Old 04-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go to Advance Auto Parts website and look it up. They show pics of it and you will recognize it then.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Ball joints can suck taking off. We rebuilt a front end on one of our ranch trucks and we had to beat the living hell out of those ball joints, they looked like fidos ***.

Quick Reply: idle control arm