What to look for to detect worn suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to look for to detect worn suspension

on the weekend I am probably going to go looking at a truck, but I suspect it is a truck from the Alberta oil fields, which basically means it was shifted into four wheel drive and driven high speeds over dirt road full of potholes while loaded for its entire life. So I am worried about the suspension and hubs being worn.

When I go and look at it what do I look for?

The truck is a
2003 Ford F150 XLT Supercab 4x4 with the 7700 package
It has 68000km (43000 miles)

The dealer is bringing it in for me, they bought it at an auction. I asked for a 2002-2003 Ford F150 Supercab 4x4 with low mileage. This works though the 7700 is not something I actually need.

So if I can find anything that could be wrong with it and get them to fix it I may be ok. I just have to know what to look for

Old 04-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Sagging is the first sign - a solid suspension will sit high and level side to side. Look at a stock truck before you look at this and get a good idea of where it should sit. Shocks that are leaking is an obvious, but I generally plan on new shocks any time I buy a used truck. Watch the rear diff pumpkin, if the bottom looks beat up and scrubbed, it's gotten that off road.

Also watch for the rear spring packs with twisted or broken leaves.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when you go for a test drive the steering should be tight. if its sloppy and wheel doesnt seem responsive probably some worn parts.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks. I will look for all those things. does anyone know if the dealer checks out the vehicle on how likely they would be to flag things like that? I have never dealt with a dealer everything I have done in the past has been private sales.

A guy at work told me if it is an oilfield truck it should have a new paint job since they cant seem to get the vehicles clean so they blast them and paint them when they are returned. I dont know what to think about that whether it is good or bad.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The tie rod end, idler arm and ball joints are high wear items on our trucks. Also just so you know, aftermarket wheels are few and far between for that trucks weird 7 lug bolt pattern.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:41 PM
I have a 2001 F150 XLT 7700 Series and I love it. It has everything except leather, premiems cd player tells you name of band radio station songs, it can search for a genre of music,premiem speakers, over head storage, all the goodies. The ride is really stiff and it is geared low with the 3.73 but the axle is bigger than 9 inches the same size as a 3/4 super duty's. I have BF Goodrich AT lt265's thinks it looks good. Ford only made that 7700 series from 99-01 it replaced the light duty 250 in 99 so they are rare. I will never get ride of mine. By the way my truck is two wheel drive what kind of life would look good, thanks.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:45 PM
I signed the papers on the truck yesterday. Suspension and engine was absolutly solid. I didnt take it home since the deal hinges on the dealership fixing a huge scratch that went from the passenger side door through to the tailgate. They are going to paint the area to my satisfaction to complete the deal. THe scratch was not accompanied by a dent but it was very deep. Next thursday I will have a new truck

Quick Reply: What to look for to detect worn suspension