Lift Safety

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007 | 08:14 PM
PCW
|
Lift Safety

Hello, im new to the forums,trucks and F-150s in general.

Yesterday I purchased my first truck and I love it.

It is a 02 Long Bed, Standard cab, 5-speed, 4x2, 3.55 and I have been trying to do some research on lift kits whether it be suspension or body. I have decided to go with a 3inch lift because I will haul a trailer sometimes and I will be putting my motorcycle in the back sometimes. And this lift is strictly for appearance.

1. Are there any safety precautions I should take because most of the weight is up front and it is a long bed.

2. Is inclement weather a problem with a lifted truck? i live in VA and it can get hectic here in Dec-Feb.

The reason I ask is because I have been looking at pictures on here and other forums and I see very few standard cabs, and even fewer standard cabs with long beds and none with a lift.

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Last edited by PCW; 04-16-2007 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-16-2007 | 08:21 PM
Howdy, and welcome! I do not believe that the lift would be effected in anyway by your style of truck. Considering that yours is lighter on top than a Screw, or ExtCab, I doubt that there would be any problem in any way. I too am going for a 3" lift, but I have more off-road motives. A 3 inch would look good on a long-bed, just make sure that you level out the back! I saw a longbed with the Pre-runner look (back sagging like its about to move) and with such a long bed, it looked like they were hauling 3,000 lb's all the time.
~Phil

Old 04-17-2007 | 09:32 AM
Every lift comes with a warning sticker that reminds you that the center of gravity is higher with a lift - if you remember you are driving a truck not a Ferrari, you don't have any worries.

In bad weather, don't make the mistake many do. 4 wheel drive helps you to accelerate in a straight line. It will not stop any faster. And it doesn't drive like a RWD or FWD, it drives like a 4WD. Learn to use your truck. Read and practice everything and use caution. Not trying to panic you, just use your head (many people don't).

Foul weather doesn't bring out the poor drivers, it just makes them more obvious.

By the way, the reason you don't see that many regular cabs long beds, is they make up something less than 10% of total production. As you have noticed, cabs with more room and short beds are just a lot more popular right now.

Quick Reply: Lift Safety