Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007 | 02:50 PM
Tan
|
Gas mileage

Have a 1995 F150 4x4 with a 302 that gets terrible gas mileage. Any suggestions how to improve it?

Old 04-18-2007 | 02:56 PM
here are the things which you could do. Remember they are not that cheap so you at the end need to decide. you want 1-6 more mpg or not. (to get 6 you will needs to add a few of the items together)

1) tonneau cover
2) air intake
3) exhaust system
4) new headers
5) tuner/chip
6) smaller or more of a performance tire. even if the wear faster

I didn't name any of these in any specific order but with some search here and online you can figure out which one is better

Oh dont lift the truck aerodynamics will come in place ehehhehe

Old 04-18-2007 | 03:36 PM
Two weeks ago, a co worker had a 95 with terrible gas mileage. Did plugs, wires, fuel/air filter himself, no change. Took it to a mom and pop shop just for diagnosis so he could do the work himself. The mechanic called an hour later, "all fixed.". Turns out the coil wasn't fully grounded. The mechanic cleaned the terminal and the thing ran like a top (charged 45 bucks). He went from getting 16ish mpg to about 8 mpg. He's back up to 16 again. Just an idea.....

Old 04-18-2007 | 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by marcorlando
here are the things which you could do. Remember they are not that cheap so you at the end need to decide. you want 1-6 more mpg or not. (to get 6 you will needs to add a few of the items together)

1) tonneau cover
2) air intake
3) exhaust system
4) new headers
5) tuner/chip
6) smaller or more of a performance tire. even if the wear faster

I didn't name any of these in any specific order but with some search here and online you can figure out which one is better

Oh dont lift the truck aerodynamics will come in place ehehhehe
This is some great advice. From personal experience, the tonneau cover won't do hardly anything, at least nothing real noticable. So don't buy one just to save the gas unless you have another purpose for it. The air intakes can usually be bought off of EBAY for about $120-$150 used (I got my K&N for around that). This is a good mod in my opinion. I can't speak on the exhaust because I haven't had a chance to do this mod yet. The chip tuner is another good consideration depending on which one you get. I picked up a Jet Chip off of somebody on this sight for about $50 in the classified section and it gave me about 2 extra MPG. When I got rid of the truck, I sold the same Chip on Ebay for $75 after using it for about 3 months
You will be getting into the more expensive side of things with the Headers & Tires. So, hopefully this will give you some things to think about. Good luck...

Old 04-18-2007 | 08:07 PM
The airintake will help and the exhaust gave me about 1.5 mpg. so good luck

Quick Reply: Gas mileage