Torsion bar problem, not your everday question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007 | 01:06 PM
|
Torsion bar problem, not your everday question

I think, no, I know something is wrong with my settings on the torsion bars. I am not familiar with these, but I know they should not be hitting the cross member. Take a look at these pics in the link and see what you think. It has a 4" lift and I can't tell if they lowered them or raised them to compensate for the rear height. I am thinking they opted to not add a leaf, put on the lift, and then lowered the bars. I may be way off, but I know it needs fixed. I just bought this truck a few weeks ago and I am trying to get it all lined out. Any advice will really help. Thanks.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?num=13743

Old 04-22-2007 | 02:34 PM
Ok, I see what you mean. it looks like you could use a drop kit for the hex key holders to get rid of that rubbing.

Last edited by Cuisi; 04-22-2007 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-22-2007 | 02:40 PM
Looks like you've got a lot of room to go up and this is why torsion bar lift kits are considered 4-6" because you can adjust the bolt. If you want to adjust it up then you need to take all of the weight off of the front end and it will go right up with a 18mm socket. If you want to take it down then you don't need to take the weight off of the vehicle. There's nothing wrong with the way it is now so nothing needs to be "fixed" unless you want more height.

Old 04-22-2007 | 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by mconway
I think, no, I know something is wrong with my settings on the torsion bars. I am not familiar with these, but I know they should not be hitting the cross member. Take a look at these pics in the link and see what you think. It has a 4" lift and I can't tell if they lowered them or raised them to compensate for the rear height. I am thinking they opted to not add a leaf, put on the lift, and then lowered the bars. I may be way off, but I know it needs fixed. I just bought this truck a few weeks ago and I am trying to get it all lined out. Any advice will really help. Thanks.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?num=13743
I can clearly see what you are talking about. But I can tell you this, It will not matter how much you ajust the bar they will not move. As they only twist. Maybe with only a 4" lift that might be the way they are. here is a pic of mine but I have a 6" lift.

Old 04-22-2007 | 03:27 PM
|
Thanks for the input. It just seems like that if they are hitting with the dropped cross member where the torsion bars connect at the rear, it would have brought them down and away from the cross member just in front of that where they are hitting. Anyway I guess I just won't worry about it for now. I may raise them an inch or so and add a leaf in the rear in the future. Thanks. And if anyone else has some ideas, let me know.

Old 04-22-2007 | 04:26 PM
It looks like you have barely any preload on the torsion bars. How many people have owned this truck. It looks like someone installed a lift and then someone tried to lower it without removing the lift kit.

Old 04-22-2007 | 04:40 PM
|
Not sure how many have owned it, but that is what I thought. It looks like there is no add a leaf and I am assuming that the block under the leafs is factory. Wandell, I was hoping to here from you. I know from reading you have experience with this. Thanks. So it would be ok th crank them up some? And add a leaf or block to bring the rear up to match?

Old 04-22-2007 | 04:46 PM
From the looks of it, you need to crank them up a lot. I'd do that and then decide on how much to lift the rear. Your truck came from the factory with a 2 inch lift block. From the looks of your adjustment bolts, you may have to use a taller lift block and an add-a-leaf.

Old 04-22-2007 | 04:54 PM
|
Thanks wandell, I am going to do that soon. I just hope it doesn't look to funny with the 33's being too small. I just got them 2 weeks ago. Shouldn't this make it ride better too?

Old 04-22-2007 | 04:57 PM
Yeah, your front suspension's travel should be kind of mushy now. I've never seen a truck with that little preload on the torsion bars. Most adjustment bolts are screwed about 3/4 of the way in from the factory.

Old 04-22-2007 | 06:50 PM
|
Just thought I would say thanks to all the replies. The members on this site are very helpful. I have found a lot of info using the search, so I try not to post something that has been posted a million times. Thanks again everyone.

Quick Reply: Torsion bar problem, not your everday question