Went to custom truck shop yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007 | 02:49 PM
|
Went to custom truck shop yesterday...

I have an '04 scab 4x4 8'box, 8200gvwr heavy duty suspension. In my on going quest for answers as to how to get my truck to ride softer (without spending thousands of $ experimenting), I stopped in the local truck shop and asked the question.

After a lengthy discussion with the salesman regarding changing out to progressive springs, 3" lift, 20" rims w/bigger tires. The suspension guy came in and said the single thing I could do to make the biggest difference would be to get rid of my OEM load range "E" tires and install new 20" rims with 32" tires which would have softer side walls and would make a big difference.

I've always thought going with a taller rim with a shorter sidewall would hurt. And if I were going to change tires to get a better ride, I would be better off staying with 17" or 18" rims.

Do you think going to 20's and 32" tires would make that much difference over the stock 17" and class "E" tires with 50psi in them??

Old 04-26-2007 | 03:00 PM
tires/wheels

Looks like he's trying to make a sale imo. You are right, a shorter sidewall usually does ride rougher due to less flex in the tire itself. I would stick with a 17/18 in wheel and a c/d load range tire (unless you need the e-load rating). How about a good set of aftermarket shocks?

Old 04-26-2007 | 03:04 PM
Have you considered the air bag suspension option ?

Old 04-26-2007 | 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by figgy
I have an '04 scab 4x4 8'box, 8200gvwr heavy duty suspension. In my on going quest for answers as to how to get my truck to ride softer (without spending thousands of $ experimenting), I stopped in the local truck shop and asked the question.

After a lengthy discussion with the salesman regarding changing out to progressive springs, 3" lift, 20" rims w/bigger tires. The suspension guy came in and said the single thing I could do to make the biggest difference would be to get rid of my OEM load range "E" tires and install new 20" rims with 32" tires which would have softer side walls and would make a big difference.

I've always thought going with a taller rim with a shorter sidewall would hurt. And if I were going to change tires to get a better ride, I would be better off staying with 17" or 18" rims.

Do you think going to 20's and 32" tires would make that much difference over the stock 17" and class "E" tires with 50psi in them??
I dont remember what load range I had and then what range I bought, but when I bought my new tires they were a heavier load range and the ride went to sh**. I dont know about going to a 20 inch wheel, but what he is saying makes some sense to me.

Old 04-26-2007 | 03:15 PM
|
Originally Posted by Bill_T
Looks like he's trying to make a sale imo. You are right, a shorter sidewall usually does ride rougher due to less flex in the tire itself. I would stick with a 17/18 in wheel and a c/d load range tire (unless you need the e-load rating). How about a good set of aftermarket shocks?
We had quite a discussion about shocks, and the suspension guy felt it would have little effect whiich I tend to agree. I don't think changing shocks will do away with that initial "jar" that I'm trying to get away from those little bumps in the road. I wish we were wrong, because I would like to just change out the shocks and fix the problem, but I don't think so. If anyone feels strongly otherwise, please explain to me how new shocks would lessen the bumps.

Old 04-26-2007 | 03:29 PM
|
Originally Posted by sysman_rick
Have you considered the air bag suspension option ?
I have heard about air bags, but I don't know enough about them. I asked them about it and they really didn't say much about it.

I would LIKE to keep as much of my payload capablity as I could if possible, but would let it go if it meant a better ride.

Yea, the tire thing does make some sense to me too, although I will loose some of my payload capacity.

The other part of this whole scenario is finding a set of 7 lug wheels I like, which so far I haven't found anything I'm crazy about.

Quick Reply: Went to custom truck shop yesterday...