Suspension guys, strange noise after leveling kit install.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:11 AM
RRT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension guys, strange noise after leveling kit install.

Installed a 2" leveling kit on a 04 F150 Screw 4x4. When driving it makes a noise like coins rattling in a tin can coming from the right side. Only make the noise when acclerating. When you let off the gas, the noise goes away. Also it does not make the noise when in four wheel drive. What could it be? Jacked up the right side and spun the tire and no noise. Thanks

Old 05-01-2007, 12:16 AM
What kind of wheels do you have? Do they have the sim. beadlock ring?

Old 05-01-2007, 12:40 AM
Suspended
It's hard to diagnose over the internet but I don't think it has anything to do with the installation of the leveling kit. I think it might be your hub going out, I had the same problem with my 2004 F-150. I'd check all of the bolts and tighten them up, see if that fixes it. Otherwise, it's probally your hub(s).

Old 05-01-2007, 01:02 AM
RRT
This is on my brother in laws truck. We also installed the same kit on my 06 F150 and no problems with it. His truck has the stock wheels and 90K miles.

I understand that you guys can't hear the noise and is just a educated guess unless you have had this problem. He has a buddy that is a Ford mechanic and had him ride with him earlier today. He said it sound like something to do with the four wheel drive system??? Kind of like it was trying to engauge while accelerating. It doesn't matter what speed you go, it make the noise while giving gas.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:25 AM
It sounds like you may have a cracked vacuum line. The hubs need vacuum to remain disengaged, if you have a cracked line or a leak somewhere then it may not be getting enough vacuum to keep it fully disengaged.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:04 AM
RRT
That very well could be. Seems like on that right side, when we disconnected the upper A arm, the knuckle swung out more. I will tell him to check the vac lines to make sure we didn't somehow cut or pull it loose. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:40 PM
RRT
Originally Posted by Cuisi
It sounds like you may have a cracked vacuum line. The hubs need vacuum to remain disengaged, if you have a cracked line or a leak somewhere then it may not be getting enough vacuum to keep it fully disengaged.
We have a winner. Seems when we replaced the three top strut nuts, we crimped the vac line that runs by the rear nut. Spliced the hose and fixed......

Thanks Cuisi.

Quick Reply: Suspension guys, strange noise after leveling kit install.