Best body and leveling/lift kit combonation...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007 | 11:26 AM
|
Best body and leveling/lift kit combonation...

I have a 2004 S-crew 4x4 and i actually like its road holding and handling capability. I go off-roading once in a blue moon and when I do i its dune country with the occasional boulder or two (Arizona)...

I want to do a (cheap) leveling/lift kit and body lift combonation (along with 33"-35") that will give me a little extra ground clearance but retain most of the vehicles handling. Mind you I don't compete in SCCA events but it still handles pretty good for a 2 ton-er.

Here's the million dollar question (may have been answered before)...

Whats the best combination? Whats the best brand? Autospring up front with blocks in rear? AAL in Rear? Do a body lift only? Do a lift only?

Any suggestions would be most helpful...

Old 05-01-2007 | 12:06 PM
for the price or hell you'll pay to get a body lift installed i'd just get the cheap 6" procomp lift for $1100...

Old 05-01-2007 | 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by fx4jake31
for the price or hell you'll pay to get a body lift installed i'd just get the cheap 6" procomp lift for $1100...
i totally agree, the body lifts are a maor PIA. go with the standard 6" pro comp suspension lift. best bang for your buck.

Old 05-02-2007 | 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by fx4jake31
Where can you get a 6" procomp lift for $1100? I've been kickin the idea around the idea of going the AS Leveling & PA Body Lift route, but if you can get a suspension for $1100, i may reconsider.

Everywhere i've seen online the procomp lift is around $2000. I've also read a lot of people like the Fabtech 6" lift for it's economics.

Old 05-02-2007 | 08:18 PM
well, you can find the procomp lifts on ebay for $1300 or so and that includes shipping it to your door. I paid $1325 for mine but I've seen them just a little cheaper. I bought mine from someplace I've done business with before simply because I knew I could count on them to ship it quick and correct.

and if you're interested in what it takes to put it on check THIS out

Old 05-03-2007 | 05:59 AM
Thanks Cuisi

Old 05-03-2007 | 06:23 AM
|
Okay so I found a pro comp kit on ebay for $1029 + $150 for S&H, not a bad price. You're saying a two day install (with a lift), cool, no problems. Its sounding really good...

Last thing, please answer this part, what am I sacraficing in terms of ride quality with the lift? Is my truck going to roll more? Handle worse? If so, how bad?

Thats a huge concern for me. I drive this thing harder on the streets (urban traffic) than I do offroad (so no to get stranded).

Also what size tire can i fit with the 6" lift? Largest Diameter?

Whats the largest with a leveling kit? Diameter?

Thanks again for the all the info....

Old 05-03-2007 | 06:29 AM
Anytime you lift a truck, the center of gravity will me raised, meaning it will be more top heavy. It shouldn't be much of a difference with only a 6 inch lift.
The Pro Comp lift will allow you to fit 35's easily on your truck.

Old 05-03-2007 | 07:35 AM
I find the ride to be very similar to stock. I think the larger tires make more of a difference than the lift does in terms of ride and handling. I'm very pleased with mine.

Old 05-03-2007 | 10:52 AM
|
As you've stated, I understand the center of gravity is higher and there is an understood amount of roll and loss of handling. Your description of "not too far from stock" is what I wanted to hear!!! I figure that even though its higher,i can increase the track width to help with handling Thanks ...

If the price on ebay isn't a scam, I 'll be ordering that very soon. While I did start the post with "cheapest lift", price wasn't an issue- I just don't like throwing money away only later to find a better deal.

.... Besides, the real back breaker in the wallet is wheels and tires anyway...

On that note, I was thinking Weld Wheels Comando's, 20" dia, 35" tall tires, crome with black-out inserts (Ithink it has simulated bead locks too)... wucha think?

Whats a good back space so I get a good stance (width)?
thanks again

Old 05-03-2007 | 10:55 AM
|
Originally Posted by Cuisi
I find the ride to be very similar to stock. I think the larger tires make more of a difference than the lift does in terms of ride and handling. I'm very pleased with mine.
Cuisi,

I like the stance/spacing of your wheels and tires..

Whats he size? back spacing? wheel dia? How tall? etc.

Old 05-03-2007 | 04:54 PM
They are 18x10 with 4.62" of backspacing, I don't recall the exact offset but it was pretty low. If I could do it again, I'd probably try to get 5 or 5.5" of backspacing though as these stick out just a touch more than I wanted. Though not enough to make me buy another set of rims

Quick Reply: Best body and leveling/lift kit combonation...