Fabtech or Pro Comp

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007 | 10:05 PM
do you know any1 in this site the has a pro comp with coilover??

Old 05-03-2007 | 11:03 PM
Tough choice, I am very happy with my ProComp setup.

Old 05-03-2007 | 11:24 PM
sambandit do you have a gallery or more pictures of your truck?? cuz in ur signature it looks pretty sweet.
and is it a 4x4 or 4x2?

what kind of aal do you have and where did u buy it plz?
Thanks,
Marco

Old 05-03-2007 | 11:40 PM
Thanks bro, not sure how to set up my gallery or I would. ProComp AAL and got it at the local 4WheelParts Store.. Here are some more pics...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...=284221&page=4

Old 05-03-2007 | 11:46 PM
do you have the regular lift or the one with coilovers??? do you have something to cover the front? and how much is the aal?
sorry for all these questions
i think im gonna get a pro comp

Old 05-04-2007 | 12:07 AM
sambandit...what style/brand are those running boards/nerf bars, and whered you get em? thanks man.

Old 05-04-2007 | 01:29 AM
sambandit

Sweet!

Hope this helps. So we can see more pics.
Click on User CP
Then to Edit profile
Scroll down to very bottom to gallery # and follow the steps

I think thats correct .If not maybe some one else can help out

Old 05-04-2007 | 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by nooq
sambandit...what style/brand are those running boards/nerf bars, and whered you get em? thanks man.
They look exactly like mine so that would make them the OEM running boards that come with the chrome edition trucks.

Old 05-04-2007 | 08:49 AM
fabtech

Old 05-04-2007 | 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by coryrf
I have a '04 F150 4wd and i want to put a 6 in suspension lift on it....Which lift is better Pro comp or Fabtech.....I want it as high as i can get it without spending to much money...Is there anything else i could do to make it higher?.....im gunna put 35x12.50x17 Pro comp Xterrains on it..... What do the Fabtech Dirtlogic Coilovers do for trucks...is it worth the money if my truck isnt off road much
Hey coryrf, welcome to the forum!

I have installed the Fabtech 6” Dirt Logic coilover kit with performance rear shocks on my '05 Supercrew. I like and want to take mine off road more so I wanted the coilover kit. They are also adjustable so if I want to raise it a little more I don’t need to put a spacer on top of the coil. Plus, they just look tough as hell!
The stock coils will be fine off road, as many will attest. I liked the new coilovers, and had the money for them. If you aren’t going to off road it, then the new coilovers would be solely for looks.
I have the Pro Comp Xterrain tires too!! They are awesome!! I have the 35x13.50x18 size, a little more width then the standard 35x12.50’s everyone runs. They have been excellent off road! and they are not that loud on the highway! Seriously, I was really surprised when I got out on the road, I haven’t had to turn up the radio louder and whatnot, but then again, perhaps I already had the radio loud enough before They look damn good also!!

Last edited by Mastacator; 05-04-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-04-2007 | 12:14 PM
Comments

Some notes about the Pro Comp and Fabtech kits.
I feel the Fabtech kits are better quality, even when comparing the basic kits. Here are some things I notice about the two kits.
Aesthetics are a personal thing, but the front cross member of the Pro Comp kit doesn’t appeal to me. I tend to think the Fabtech cross member is a little better built though, because its built more like a truss and fills in the gap between the new cross member and the upper frame of the truck. There is a gap left between them on the Pro Comp kit, again, an aesthetics opinion there.
As mentioned, the basic Pro Comp kit uses a 6” spacer on top of the stock coilover assembly. I didn’t care for this method, Rise uses a similar tactic, but instead of putting a spacer on top of the coilover, they use an extension on the bottom of the shock. Fabtech uses a new shock, that’s longer than stock, with the stock coil spring. I preferred the function and look of the new coilovers. If I went with the Pro Comp kit I would have gotten their coilovers as well. One note, you wouldn’t even be able to see the coilover in the wheel well with that 6” spacer on top of it. Not something that appeals to me.
When dropping the front diff. for the lift, two drop brackets are used, they install in the factory diff pockets then you attach the diff to those brackets. Fabtech uses a diagonal cross brace between those to brackets to “triangulate” them and give the assembly longitudinal strength. From what I can tell Pro comp doesn’t use such a brace, (correct me if I’m wrong Pro Comp owners) but has a bracket that connects between the drop bracket and the rear cross member, which doesn’t give it anymore longitudinal strength. (Longitudinal- if nothing else were connected. the diff would sway side to side on the drop brackets)
Pro Comp doesn’t use any spacers on the front drive shafts. I can see this not being any problem if the front track width is NOT increased at all. But if it were, then I would think it would be better to keep the shafts at their stock length by using a spacer rather than just stretching them. I know the Fabtech increases the front track width some 3 inches, so a spacer is used on the drive shafts. I don’t know for sure on the Pro Comp kit though. Just something to think about.
Compression struts. I believe the compression struts add strength to the suspension assembly in regards to it receiving impact from the front of the truck, whether it be impact at the wheel or the front cross member. Anybody else concur with this? It strengthens against a “lever” effect, since the cross members now are another 6” or more longer. The mount of these struts to the frame is what I noticed. Pro Comp attaches the strut with a bolt to the bottom of the transmission cross member. An impact would put a “shear” load on the bolt itself, transferring from a compression load to the shear load on the bolt. The bolt is the deciding factor whether or not the assembly can take a given load or not. Fabtech mounts this strut to the front of the transmission cross member, making the assembly stronger by keeping most of an impact as a compression load, and distributing the load out on the cross member.
Lifting the rear with the basic kit for both Fabtech and Pro Comp is done with lift blocks. Thing I noticed is that Pro Comp uses a 3” aluminum block under the stock block. They do have “pins” machined into them, but still you’re stacking blocks, and many frown on that. Fabtech uses a 5” cast iron block with pins, which replaces the stock block completely. As far as strength goes, cast iron is pretty tough. Aesthetically, I prefer the black cast iron block from Fabtech to the aluminum Pro Comp blocks. Because, I’d rather the blocks be less noticeable, the aluminum is an eye catcher that I don’t care for. I hope to get new leaf springs for the rear to eliminate the blocks completely. I just think it’s a little “weak” looking to see a hugely lifted truck with these giant blocks under it, the bigger they are the worse they look IMO.
Rear drive shaft. Maybe lifting the rear 3” doesn’t make that much of a difference to the rear drive shaft, I don’t know. But the Fabtech kit uses a spacer for the driveline in an effort to not overextend the drive shaft from the transfer case. Pro Comp doesn’t use such a spacer. Pros/cons or this? I’m not sure; I’m comfortable with an effort to keep the drive shaft closer to stock though. Something to think about.
Just a few things I noticed in my research and in pictures of others installs.

Last edited by Mastacator; 05-07-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-04-2007 | 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by wxscpo
They look exactly like mine so that would make them the OEM running boards that come with the chrome edition trucks.
where can i get some besides the dealer?

Old 05-04-2007 | 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by chug4real
Will fabtech 6" system still allow you to use the oem wheels. Its a 01 screw 4x4
As long as your factory wheels have no more than 5" of backspace, you should be ok.

Old 05-04-2007 | 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by nooq
where can i get some besides the dealer?
Check the classifieds, I saw a set in there for sale for $150 plus shipping. Also eBay is probably another place to look for'em. If you go through the dealership you'll probably pay 3 times as much. Good luck.

Old 05-05-2007 | 11:39 AM
good analysis Mastacater. Glad I got the Fabtech now. It's just better quality than the cheap looking pro-comp.

Quick Reply: Fabtech or Pro Comp