Power Steering Box Leak Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007 | 03:27 PM
|
Power Steering Box Leak Recommendations?

Hello all,
The truck in question is my '95 E150... I replaced the steering box seal (pitman arm/sector shaft seal) about 6 months ago, and it has started to leak fluid again. It seemed to seal up pretty well at first, but now it is a heavy leak. I did not enjoy doing the job the first time, and I am not looking forward to it being a ritual. My question is, should I replace the seal again, or buy a reman box. The cheapest reman I can find is $330 CDN. The seal kit is about $45, or I can get a used box guaranteed for 30 days for $125.

I guess the question I am really asking is: what is the most likely cause of the seal failure... a worn/pitted sector shaft, or improper installation? I am told that the shaft pitting and destroying the seal is a common problem with the Ford boxes, so maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a "new" box? Thanks for any input on this....

azul

Old 05-04-2007 | 04:28 PM
guess it comes down to cash. how long do you plan on keeping the van? 6 months?? 3 years??. when it comes to repairs like that i ask myself that question.

Old 05-05-2007 | 10:10 AM
|
I will probably keep the truck for another year. I think I am going to pull the box out and take out the sector shaft to see if it is worn or pitted. If I can clean it up and get a new seal in it, I will do that. I learned the first time around that the box basically has to be removed to do the seal anyway, so I might as well pull it right out. My understanding is that on the trucks, the seal can be done easily in the truck, but on the van, the pitman arm won't clear the crossmember, so the box has to be dropped. Yay.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Box Leak Recommendations?