Front Axles Binding????HElp

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Axles Binding????HElp

I have a 2001 ford 150 SuperCrew 4x4, i wanted a little more lift in my truck so i bought a torsion key levelling kit and blocks for the rear, the keys lifted the front 2 inches. Everything was all good until i blew the upper cv boots after the first month, so i decided to replace both axles....Only problem is when i put my new axles in they wouldn't turn, just bind????. So i lowered the front of my truck an inch until they started to turn, but they still bind around hard corners.
Pretty soon the front will be at stock height again. why are my new axles like this, the angle isnt even that steep, and my old axles never had a problem except the boots were torn, 150 000kms on them, i cant find any different axles......i looked for a kit to drop my front diff, cant get that either??Anyone had this problem before.......

Old 05-05-2007, 10:24 PM
I would like to know too. I lifted the front of my truck too, with the torsion bars. A week ago the upper CV boot tore with 140,000 miles on it. So I bought 2 new CV axles to go ahead and replace both CV's while I had new gears put in.

When they went to put the new CV axles in they wouldn't fit. The shop said that the axle was too long. The axle shaft would hit the backing that connected to the differential, where as it should be free floating. I've checked with 4 different part store and with a Ford dealership and they only sell one shaft for 1998-2003 f150's and the same shaft is used left and right side. So the part I have is correct but something is happening that shouldn't. Needless to say I still am driving around with a torn boot.

Hopefully when I do get the CV replaced I won't have the binding problem, but would like to know why they would bind in the first place?

Also, why would my CV be too long when bolted in? Any ideas? Maybe there are certain steps to be taken when putting new CV's in that the shop didn't follow.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:19 PM
That doesnt make sense that the axle shaft would be too long, do you have your torsion bars cranked all the way? Your axles expand at the cv joints, so the higher your truck is the longer your axle is gonna be stretched, did you buy new torsions key for your truck or did you just crank yours bars? Sounds like you dont have a binding issue, your axle wouldnt turn if it was binding.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:09 AM
Your right I don't have a binding issue. The only issue I have right now, is that the new CV axles aren't put in. Hopefully they will be by the end of this week. I was just wondering what the answer to your problem was in case I end up having a problem similar after the new CVs are installed.

I did use a new torsion bar key.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Ive got a torsion 2" key set myself, with a 3" body lift, and have put over 700mls on it so far, and some offroad with no probs, my CV axles are running at 15 degree angle, there made to run atleast 40 degrees easy, if you look at most atv's most of them are at 30 degrees stock with the IFS..But its like you said, I spray my boots with silocone regular to keep them from getting dry...I went with keys due to being cheaper, I wanted the 6" fabtech but for $1700 my wife shut me down..what is the purpose of changeing the CV axles are they worn out..some of the binding might be in the front diff keep us posted on what you find...

Old 05-06-2007, 01:17 PM
The only reason I was putting new CV axles in is because I was having new gears installed in the front and rear differentials. And they had 140,000 miles on them. So it would be easier to replace the axles now with the front differential out of the truck than wait and take everything apart again. I've driven the truck 10,000 miles with the new torsion keys and so far no problems. I don't contribute the torn boot to the torsion lift. Things wear out over time and believe this is why my boot tore.

Old 05-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by acm8705
The only reason I was putting new CV axles in is because I was having new gears installed in the front and rear differentials. And they had 140,000 miles on them. So it would be easier to replace the axles now with the front differential out of the truck than wait and take everything apart again. I've driven the truck 10,000 miles with the new torsion keys and so far no problems. I don't contribute the torn boot to the torsion lift. Things wear out over time and believe this is why my boot tore.
Cool thats good news 10,000mls..lots of folks on these and several other forums dont like the keys...you have a tuff looking truck, let us know how you like the new gears, Good idea to change the axles why your there, which gears did you use..Im thinking of going motive gear, 4.10,4.30..from 3.55..

Old 05-06-2007, 05:30 PM
I wish I hadn't gone with such a low gear. I went from 3.55 to 4.56. After using some of the gearing calculators it said that to get the stock gearing with 35" tires I would need to use 4.10. Looking back I think 4.30 would be perfect. With 4.56, I'm turning 2600rpm at 70mph. Kinda wish I could go 75mph and turn 2500 rpm. Off the line acceleration is amazing though. Can't beat that part.

I haven't checked my mpg yet cause my speedo and odometer haven't been corrected.

Quick Reply: Front Axles Binding????HElp