Front Suspension noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007 | 03:13 PM
|
Front Suspension noise

99' F150 4.2 V6 SC 110,000 miles. Replaced both tie rods and ball bearing still and had brakes inspected at dealer, but I still have a loud whirring noise when decelerating above 30 mph coming from the left front side. Whirring sounds like a rubbing or catching, defenitely cyclical. Dealer aligned vechile and adjusted toe setting but to no avail. Dealership now says it is because the steering box has play. I don't understand the connection or even if it is correct. Can the steering box be replaced in a day, with proper tools? Is it a shade tree mechanic type job? I have some mechanical ability and access to a lift. The left front tire did have a flat and was patched but I don't think that would have an effect. Any help in the right direction would be appreciated.

Old 05-17-2007 | 03:44 PM
Cool

have you checked to see if the wheel is bent? Maybe its rubbing the flexable brake line. I dont think the steering could cause the noise, but if it is the problem I dont see why you cant replace the steering box yourself. It could be pretty tight working around the exhaust system.

Quick Reply: Front Suspension noise