Torsion Bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008 | 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Great info!! I've been wanting to raise mine a little if possible and have never adjusted the torsion bars. So you can crank the front up in equal increments until one or both sides are maxed (equal turns match first side that's maxed) - Then align.

Will this warrant a block in the rear to keep her level? Or is that just Personal preference depending on how much travel is gained in front.?

Thanks.
I added a inch to the rear on mine just cause it felt like it was nosed up after I cranked the bars all the way. I am thinking of going with a AAL now though after getting a load of firewood this week.

Old 01-17-2008 | 08:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Did you need a wheel alignment. I have new Fortara's and really don't want those screwed up . I guess I could check the toe myself by eye..

Thanks.

Old 01-17-2008 | 08:50 PM
Yes, you need an alignment after adjusting the torsion bars.

Old 01-17-2008 | 10:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Thank you sir ..

Old 01-27-2008 | 09:48 PM
Thanks for all the tips on cranking the torsion bars. Finally had some warm weather here today so I was able to get under the truck and raise the front up about 1.25 iches. I couldn't bother fighting with the bolts any longer. The build-up of undercoating made it a little tricky. It was also a bit harder because I broke my foot last weekend so now have a lovely cast on my right foot.

I had my wife drop off the truck for the new tires this evening. Bummer that I can't drive the truck for at least another three weeks.

Old 01-27-2008 | 09:54 PM
I turned mine all the way up at first, gained 3", but the ride was very very stiff. I lowered it to 1.5" lift, and now its .5" lower than stock.

Old 02-14-2008 | 03:41 PM
Does someone know what needs to be re-aligned (camber, caster, or toe) after the torsion bars are cranked up?

Old 02-14-2008 | 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
Every truck is differnt. You can usually get at least 1.5 inches.
I got 2 out of mine

Old 02-14-2008 | 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by JD's150
Does someone know what needs to be re-aligned (camber, caster, or toe) after the torsion bars are cranked up?
You need a front end alignment. It will include all of the above.

Old 02-14-2008 | 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Great info!! I've been wanting to raise mine a little if possible and have never adjusted the torsion bars. So you can crank the front up in equal increments until one or both sides are maxed (equal turns match first side that's maxed) - Then align.

Will this warrant a block in the rear to keep her level? Or is that just Personal preference depending on how much travel is gained in front.?

Thanks.
might not be true. not all torsion bars are the same. just make sure you have the same measurements on both sides. recommend a few turns (2-3 full turns) on one side then the same to the other side untill you reach the height you want to achieve. also recommend an alignment afterwards just to make sure nothing is out of alignment.

Old 02-14-2008 | 08:43 PM
How about the ride?

I just got an 02 SCrew FX4 and was wondering about how the ride quality is effected by cranking the torsion bars. Doesn't it get stiffer the more you crank them up? I want a levelling, but don't want to make it too stiff in the front. I noticed several companies selling levelling keys state that there kit doesn't allow over torquing of the torsion bars and ride quality isn't effected. Are these new keys better to use than cranking with your stock one's? I'm new to the newer style F150's (previously had a 94) and am trying to learn. Thanks

Old 02-15-2008 | 11:06 PM
I just cranked mine all the way and yes it rides a little stiffer but I can sacrifice this for the 2.5-3" of lift I gained by cranking them and adding AAL to the rear. This baby doesn't squat or squeak when I load it down or hit a bump...what can I say, driving a truck w' 198,000 miles and 34" Buckshots...shouldn't ride like a Caddy. Oh by the way...Everbody on here says NOT to add the torsion keys...Way Bad.

Old 02-15-2008 | 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Ford Truckin'
I just cranked mine all the way and yes it rides a little stiffer but I can sacrifice this for the 2.5-3" of lift I gained by cranking them and adding AAL to the rear. This baby doesn't squat or squeak when I load it down or hit a bump...what can I say, driving a truck w' 198,000 miles and 34" Buckshots...shouldn't ride like a Caddy. Oh by the way...Everbody on here says NOT to add the torsion keys...Way Bad.
Are you really running 34" with just cranking up the bars. And if so how wide are they. Also Why is using torsion keys bad. Maybe I should ask that in a new thread.

I did raise mine up today and it does look much better. I am planning on using air bags in the rear for load adjustment.

Old 02-17-2008 | 02:36 PM
Yes, I'm running 305/70/17 Buckshots which is 34x12x17. They rubbed when I put them on with the torsion bars cranked enough to level the truck. Now since I added the AAl and cranked the torsion bars all the way to level with the AAL height they don't rub anymore and it looks awesome. Wandell knows more about why torsion keys are bad...You don't need them because the truck goes as high as it needs to with the factory components on the front by just cranking the torsion bars all the way.

Old 02-17-2008 | 02:49 PM
for the question on torsion keys... your stock ones are your best bet! the after market keys are reindexed this alows you to crank them higher which will throw your angles off the map! you never want to get that much lift out of your torsion bars it messes up your cv angles and your balljoints.

it states that it doesnt affect ride quality which is a bunch of crap! the ride will be stiffer with after market keys or with your keys cranked!

put it like this the after market keys are reindexed this means they roughly are starting out where your stock keys would get cranked to! either way you are still lifting the vehicle buy the torsion bars so they are still equal AM keys just allow you to go higher which is not smart in the first place i wouldnt go over 2-2.5" with torsion keys to begin with!

torsion keys much like throttle body spacers around here are known as paper weights or door stoppers!

Quick Reply: Torsion Bars