So my local 4x shop guy tells me....

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007 | 09:59 AM
|
Technical Article Contributor
Question So my local 4x shop guy tells me....

285/75/16 anything will rub on my stock height suspension. He told me I would need the Ready Lift keys to get it up high enough to clear them. Somehow I think he wants to sell me $400 (labor inc) worth of more stuff. He also tells me the keys will not crank the t-bars at all and will retain the stock ride. My question to him and you all is HOW can it NOT crank the bars if it LIFTS the truck? He says due to the re-index keys it doesn't change the amount of twist on the bars.

I can't see how that is possible. If the truck is lifting...the bar is twisting. Now maybe the keys are indexed to allow the bolt to be at the stock position in the key but the bar STILL has to be twisting to lift the truck. He says the key is what is lifting the truck??? Am I wrong and totally misunderstanding this or does he have it wrong?

Old 06-03-2007 | 10:05 AM
You are completely right. You were given some misinformation. Increasing torsion bar preload is increasing torsion bar preload. It doesn't matter if you use the OEM adjustment keys or a set of rip off $200 aftermarket keys. It's the same thing. The aftermarket reindexed keys just allow you to put way too much preload on the torsion bars.
As for fitting 285-75-16's, you can easily fit them. They will not even be close to rubbing using the OEM wheels. If you mount them on a set of 10 inch wide aftermarket wheels you will have to trim a little bit of plastic off the front bumper's lower valance. I have several pics of my Screw at stock height in my gallary with 285's.

Old 06-03-2007 | 01:55 PM
|
Technical Article Contributor
Thumbs up Thanks Wendell

I thought so...

I have seen many of your pics as well as many others. I am looking to use 16x8 Pro Comp wheels and 285's so I don't see that 1" over stock width will be an issue.

Thanks again...I can always count on you for a reply.

Quick Reply: So my local 4x shop guy tells me....