5 inch block

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007 | 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
There would be a lot less axle wrap with one single block vs two blocks stacked. . not to mention that stacking blocks isn't the best idea.
Good point. I'm still waiting on a call back for the 6" Rize block. from truck toyz to level out the rear with my coilovers cranked

Old 07-11-2007 | 11:45 PM
I know this is stupied and off topic but what is axle wrap?

Old 07-11-2007 | 11:50 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by f150monster232
I know this is stupied and off topic but what is axle wrap?
I hope this helps. .

Axle wrap is something different than wheel hop. Wheel hop is when an axle on your 4x4 rapidly hops up and down. Axle wrap is unwanted suspension movement that allows the pinion angle to change. Wheel hop is annoying and could cause drivetrain breakage, but usually it's not the actual hopping that breaks parts, it's the axle wrap that results from the hop that causes drivelines to bind and breaks yokes, drive shafts and sometimes even pinions.

Old 07-12-2007 | 02:48 AM
|
I am measuring the blocks i have on the truck now. The factory block is about 1 1/2 inches tall and the pro comp block seems to be about 2 1/2 inches tall. If i were to get one 5 inch block, i would gain that inch that i need to level it out and lose the unwanted sag in the rear. There is a major price difference between those two blocks that fx4jake31 and wxscpo posted . I was always under the impression that blocks were pretty cheap like around 30 to 60 bucks. Apparently i was wrong lol

Old 07-12-2007 | 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by f150Lariatc
I am measuring the blocks i have on the truck now. The factory block is about 1 1/2 inches tall and the pro comp block seems to be about 2 1/2 inches tall. If i were to get one 5 inch block, i would gain that inch that i need to level it out and lose the unwanted sag in the rear. There is a major price difference between those two blocks that fx4jake31 and wxscpo posted . I was always under the impression that blocks were pretty cheap like around 30 to 60 bucks. Apparently i was wrong lol
You should be able to get an AAL for around the same price. It leveled my pro comp lift out perfectly.

Old 07-12-2007 | 02:47 PM
You were a day late...I just sold my 5" blocks for $40 to someone else. Anyways someone said double stacking blocks will give you more axle wrap than a single block which isn't true. You're still x amount away from the axle which will result in the same amount of wrap. The problem with double stacking is when axle wrap does occur the springs will bend down but can only go so far because of the eye bolts so they have no choice but to snap back and when they do it can actually pull your tires off of the ground and eventually this will stretch the u bolts and a block can come out because they're working against each other. The advantage to a stiffer spring is they're not near as vulnerable to this unlike softer springs so if you must have a block then do one block with an add a leaf vs one giant block and double stacking should not be done at all but with some kits it's required so if something happens it's on the company and not you.

Old 07-12-2007 | 02:50 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by KansasJoe
You were a day late...I just sold my 5" blocks for $40 to someone else. Anyways someone said double stacking blocks will give you more axle wrap than a single block which isn't true. You're still x amount away from the axle which will result in the same amount of wrap. The problem with double stacking is when axle wrap does occur the springs will bend down but can only go so far because of the eye bolts so they have no choice but to snap back and when they do it can actually pull your tires off of the ground and eventually this will stretch the u bolts and a block can come out because they're working against each other. The advantage to a stiffer spring is they're not near as vulnerable to this unlike softer springs so if you must have a block then do one block with an add a leaf vs one giant block and double stacking should not be done at all but with some kits it's required so if something happens it's on the company and not you.
Yes but when the two blocks create play in the set-up wouldn't that cause more axle wrap? Its basically what I was getting at. The two blocks will be able to move both ways vs one single block which can only go one way or the other and it won't ever stretch a U-Bolt anyways.

Old 07-12-2007 | 02:57 PM
It's definitely safer having a single block because it's working as one piece and so are the 2 blocks until the u bolts stretch or wear out and then they will work against each other. The axle wrap is equal but for safety reasons one block is much better to have. Now the u bolts can wear or stretch on any setup so it's good to check them every 5000 miles or so no matter what setup you have and especially when the weather changes from cold to hot or vice versa. Always check them 1000 miles after any sort of suspension work where new ones were put on or old ones reused just to be safe because a major cause of broken leaf springs are not fully tightened u bolts.

Old 07-12-2007 | 07:10 PM
|
Bestntx, I will look into the aal. Are those pictures of your truck at the beach from Port A, TX?

Old 07-13-2007 | 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by KansasJoe
You were a day late...I just sold my 5" blocks for $40 to someone else.
That was me... I got my FedEx notification today.

I had an old Ranger w/ a mildly built 302 (about 350hp). Originally I stacked the block that came w/ my suspension lift on top of the factory block. I think it was a 3" and a 2" block. I had axle wrap so bad that the axle tube would come around and bash into the body of the shock. I changed to a single 5" block on that truck and it did eliminate a good amount of the axle wrap. I'm still against stacking blocks, but I think axle wrap is slightly less of a problem with the double pin blocks/leafs our trucks use. Anyways, on the Ranger I eventually had to install new leaf springs with only the factory 2" block and traction bars to get rid of the axle wrap.

Old 07-13-2007 | 04:52 AM
Originally Posted by f150Lariatc
Bestntx, I will look into the aal. Are those pictures of your truck at the beach from Port A, TX?
No they were from Crystal Beach by Galveston. I have been to Port A many, many times. The Texas coast is my friend.

Old 07-13-2007 | 12:58 PM
|
ha that was my next guess. I agree me and my buds go to the coast about once a week

Quick Reply: 5 inch block